San Diego Water- Miramar 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just posted this in another (stagnant) thread, but I've done a few searches and seen a lot of people asking about our water here, but no hard data. I recently sent off a bottle to Ward for testing, but previously I've just been using the city water report (which is great- tons of detail) from 2011. The measured values turned out to be extremely close to the reported 2011 values (which I'll put in parentheses next to the actual measured values). The 2012 report just came out, so I'll put those values in *stars.* They look very DIFFERENT from 2011 and my measured values, which is a little troubling.

San Diego Water- Miramar Source 2013

Ca- 62 (60.5) *38.9*
Mg- 22 (22.9) *15.2*
SO4- 171 (192) *102*
Na- 74 (87.2) *64*
Cl- 87 (94.9) *76.6*
HCO3- 135 (130) *103*
K- 4 (4.27) *3.51*
TA- 121 (107) *85*
TH - 247 (NR) *157*
P- 0.34 (NR) *NR*
Fe- <0.01ppm
pH- 8.1

There are a bunch of great, popular breweries in this water district. Ballast Point claims they make no adjustments other than Chlorine/chloramine removal, but they brew in two different water districts so who knows. I know for a fact at least Green Flash and Hess treat their water extensively (RO, minerals, the whole nine).

Ballast Point
Green Flash
Rough Draft
Hess
Wet 'N Reckless
Modern Times
St. Archer
Intergalactic
Alesmith
2kids (couldn't leave that one off- sorry:D)

Hope this helps somebody out. Cheers!

EDIT: I tried to format that as a table, but it's not showing up nice in the post. I can take the water report values off if you guys think that would make it clearer.

What is the water source? Do they maybe get water from different sources? I haen't been in San Diego area in 15 years, but do not remember the sulfates being so high.

Very little of our water is "local." I believe it's primarily Colorado River water, with a fair amount pumped in from the delta up North via the SWP. Everything (for the Miramar Water District) is kept in the Miramar Reservoir. Even my North County brewing acquaintances report high sulfate water, which is expected as most of So Cal gets our water from the same sources, just in differing proportions.

That's what I thought. I lived in LA for 10 years, working in San Diego area quite a lot. I'm sure your water source varies based on availability of water from the snow melt in the north. So I think your water profile may be a crapshoot.

Just because of the volumes of water we're talking about and the number of sources, I don't think you're going to see that much fluctuation. 2012's report has about 10-15% less mineral content across the board when compared to 2011.

Back