Greetings from Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronEagle

Reaction score
Just got my Mr. Beer Kit Yesterday from my Family new at this whole brewing thing and guess a little nervous any pointers for a noob?

Nate

I started brewing with Mr Beer 3 1/2 years ago and quickly learned a few things to do differently via this forum.

1. Let the beer sit longer than 1 week in the fermentor. I recommend 2-3 weeks at a minimum so the yeast can clean up after themselves.
2. Use a different brewing yeast than what comes with the brewing kit. If you can find a local brew shop selling US-05 dry yeast then 1/2 a packet would be good.
3. Be careful on how much sugar you add to the bottles for carbonation. Too much and you can have exploding bottle bombs.
4. Let the carbonation process go for 2-3 weeks at room temp prior to putting these into the refrigerator.
5. Don't get discouraged too quickly.

Welcome to the forum.

Right on man! I agree with last post. Also, go to home brew supply shop and talk to those guys. There might be a club you can Jon too.

How to Brew by John Palmer. Buy it, skim it, look at it every day. Over time, as you brew more, it'll make sense. It's by far the best, most comprehensive brewing book.

Read as much as you can on this forum, especially under the Extract Brewing section, Beginners Brewing, and of course the epic Mr. Beer Thread.

By the way, there are lots of homebrewing forums out there. I'll save you some time and tell you right now that this is the best one.

How to Brew by John Palmer. Buy it, skim it, look at it every day. Over time, as you brew more, it'll make sense. It's by far the best, most comprehensive brewing book.

Read as much as you can on this forum, especially under the Extract Brewing section, Beginners Brewing, and of course the epic Mr. Beer Thread.

By the way, there are lots of homebrewing forums out there. I'll save you some time and tell you right now that this is the best one.

I also got that book for Christmas so I will definitely look into it.

Found a room that has no sunlight and humidity is low, but it stays about 60F will this work. Its actually the best spot I have at the moment?

Looking to start brewing tonight I have a 5qt calphalon pot that we normally use for soup will I be okay to use this for my first batch or do I need to buy another one?

I'm 3 brews in and just found this forum, the one question I have is how do i make a beer with a stronger abv .. I made the American light that cane with the Mr. Beer kit and It was flavorful but weak on the abv.. is it the type of yeast I'm using? And can I ferment twice?

Tom and the guys at Titgemeier's are always willing to discuss brewing. I think there is a brew club that meets at the Attic on Adams (the old Manos') the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7.

Welcome to the obsession! :D

Enjoy!

Tom and the guys at Titgemeier's are always willing to discuss brewing. I think there is a brew club that meets at the Attic on Adams (the old Manos') the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7.

Welcome to the obsession! :D

Enjoy!

Are they the best in the Northwest ohio region or is there somewhere better?

Titgemeier's is the only one in Toledo. There is one in BG that I have never been to, and River Raisin up in Dundee.

I like Titgemeier's because of location and I have had good experiences with them. I brew all grain and their pricing on whole bags is good and everything else is reasonable so I stick with them.

I have shopped online for a couple of bigger ticket items, but I generally prefer to use my LHBS and support a local merchant.

Enjoy!

Titgemeier's is the only one in Toledo. There is one in BG that I have never been to, and River Raisin up in Dundee.

I like Titgemeier's because of location and I have had good experiences with them. I brew all grain and their pricing on whole bags is good and everything else is reasonable so I stick with them.

I have shopped online for a couple of bigger ticket items, but I generally prefer to use my LHBS and support a local merchant.

Enjoy!

See I live in Defiance so I dont have a lhbs.

There are a couple of places in Fort Wayne, and I think that Flat Rock Brewery in Holgate sells some supplies. I have seen them posting on here.

Enjoy!

Back