Need Sour Cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpweeks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So ive got a 6 month old lambic that i want to rack onto cherries. Since its my first lambic i felt it only appropriate to use cherries :mug:

I am havign a heck of a time finding any type of sour cherries....whether fresh, frozen or puree. I am located in the NE.

Anyone have any sugggestions?

I ordered 3lbs of dried sour cherries from a seller on eBay. It was a little expensive compared to buying fresh fruit, but they're working out well for me.

levifunk said:
You should let it age another year before adding cherries.

So it had a pretty nice Pellicle that has started to disappear. I thought once the Pellicle dropped you should add the fruit?

+1 about the sun flower oil. When you're looking just make sure they're not coated with anything. I was able to find some without oil. If you're interested I can dig up a link.

Stopped at a produce place in nj today. Was told no sour cherries this year. Too much rain. Price is super high. So I'll check out the amazon link.

Thanks

Stopped at a produce place in nj today. Was told no sour cherries this year. Too much rain. Price is super high. So I'll check out the amazon link.

Thanks

Before you buy them online, check your grocery store. They would be in the pie filling aisle. I have them in mine.

I made some melomel with montmorency cherries from Trader Joes. They are often available dried, organic. Check the local hippie grocery store. No hippie grocery stores in PA? There's also juice available online.

cardinalsfan said:
Before you buy them online, check your grocery store. They would be in the pie filling aisle. I have them in mine.

I've seen it said on here not to go with the pie filling cherries.....

I've seen it said on here not to go with the pie filling cherries.....

I only said they were in the pie filling aisle, at least at my store. The ones I got were the exact same ones linked to at amazon. And yes, get ones packed in water.

Try meauring the current gravity compared to the OG. Does it seem to be as attenuated as you would expect considering the yeast strain? I would want to have plenty of alcohol in there to extract the cherry flavor. If that isn't going to increase much in the future I'd put the cherries in. I'd taste it over the next few months and rack it when I had a flavor I like.

Back