Old Rasputin clone wanted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
I've been doing some thinking about a Russian Imperial Stout, and about the best one I've ever had is Old Rasputin by North Coast. I would almost chop a pinky off to get a good clone of this beer. They don't have any info on their website. Anybody got one?

Pretty much from Beer Captured:

Ingredients:
0.75 lbs American Chocolate Malt
10.0 oz Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs British Black Patent
18.0 oz Crystal Malt 80°L
0.5 lbs Victory® Malt
4 lbs Dry Extra Light
3.3 lbs English Light Extract (MoreBeer)
6.5 lbs American 2-row

3 oz Cluster (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Liberty (4.0%) - added during boil, boiled 2 min
1 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale
.5 oz Liberty (4.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Dude. Sweet. Thanks! I'm gonna convert it to AG and get it in the bucket for Christmas. :mug:

Thanks again.

My only concern with the recipe is the largish quantity of roasted and black malt. From what I understand, a little goes a long way (at least with black patent). This recipe calls for 1/2 a pound, but it is an imperial stout.

I used the recipe, modified, for my Black Mass (an Abbey Stout). Just went in the fermenter Sunday.

Unclesamskid said:
My only concern with the recipe is the largish quantity of roasted and black malt. From what I understand, a little goes a long way (at least with black patent). This recipe calls for 1/2 a pound, but it is an imperial stout.

I used the recipe, modified, for my Black Mass (an Abbey Stout). Just went in the fermenter Sunday.
Funny, I looked at that recipe and saw only 10oz of roasted barley and 3/4# chocolate and figured 1-1.5# of each would be better for a RIS. But then again I like Old Rasputin but it wasn't my favorite because I thought it could be a little roastier.

Craig

Old Rasputin is one of my favorite beers- can't wait to try this recipe. With a big move coming up, it'll be a while before I get to brewing, but I plan to have it ready for winter. Thanks!

I have never used that much dark grain in a single brew, so I am a little concerned it will be unpalatable. I am sure it will be ok, since I have brewed several beers from Beer Captured and none of them were undrinkable.

Now, if only the fermentation from hell would end...

I just picked up the ingredients for this recipe (although some substitutions on the hops were necessary)

I assumed this was a smaller batch due to the DME. Is it?

The recipe looks great and the grains smell awesome.

Thanks!

Has anyone tried this recipe? If so, how did it turn out? I have fond memories of Old Rasputin, and am interested in trying this recipe.

-funk

EDIT: I left in some of the directions for the extract recipe in the instructions below. Notice, no cold water need be added at the end of boil if you end up with 5.5gal.

Love Old Rasputin. I haven't tried this yet but I have the recipe ready to go this weekend. Hoping it is as good as it looks. It has a touch less of each of the roasted grains.

The Best of BYO
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/old-rasputin-imperial-stout-clone-37457/
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (clone)
5 gallons, extract with grains
OG = 1.090 FG = 1.022 IBUs = 85-95 ABV =9%

Ingredients
14 lb Pale 2 Row malt
1.0 lb. Hugh Baird Carastan malt
0.5 lb. Hugh Baird Brown malt
0.5 lb. chocolate malt
1.0 lb. crystal malt (120° L)
0.25 lb. roasted black barley
22.7 AAU Cluster hops (bittering)
(3.25 oz. of 7% alpha acid)
9.0 AAU Northern Brewer hops
(aroma hops) (1 oz. of 9% alpha acid)
8.8 AAU Centennial hops (aroma)
(1 oz. of 8.8% alpha acid)
1 tsp Irish moss
White Labs WLPOO1 (California Ale)yeast or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast
0.75 cup of corn sugar for priming

Step by Step
Mash all your grains at 152° for 45 minutes. Collect enough wort to boil for 90 minutes and have a 5.5 gallon yield. Decrease the amount of bittering hops to 2.75 oz. of Cluster to account for the increased hop extraction efficiency in a full boil. Add the Cluster (bittering) hops and Irish moss and boil for 60 minutes. Add the aroma hops (Northern Brewer and Centennial) for the last two minutes of the boil. Cool the wort to 80° F, aerate the beer and pitch your yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours tó~ 68-70° F, and ferment for 10 to 14 days. Bottle your beer, age for two to three weeks and enjoy! (Yes, that's right, this beer so well- balanced that North Coast releases it to the public in less than a month.)

See what you think!

I regularly make stouts with 1 lbs of roasted barley... So to me that's definitely not too much. My stouts are well balanced as well

Sweet, Brewitt thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely try this at some point!

Brewed this one today in my newly completed keggle. What a pleasure for a beer this big. 9 gal water to start with 21 lb grain. Missed my OG by 0.005 so not bad but my efficiency is right around 70%, not the 80 lots of people report. Only problem was I had a hard time holding my temp at 154 and ended up bouncing between 150 and 154 (shouldn't have affected efficiency). Otherwise all went well, pitched about 4x10e11 yeast (about 2 liters of aerated starter) and it should be off and running soon. Thinking about dry hopping with something piney like simcoe despite the fact that the recipe doesn't call for it. I'm a hop head, what can I say ;)

Does anyone know an acceptable sub for carastan? I'm not familiar with it at all. I assume caramunich or something of that nature is close?

Does anyone know an acceptable sub for carastan? I'm not familiar with it at all. I assume caramunich or something of that nature is close?

Carastan is a British crystal malt that is usually listed as between 35 & 40L, so 40L crystal ought to be an OK substitute.

I've tasted my OR RIS clone twice, after 6 days and after 11 days in the bottle. There is almost no carbonation and no head at all. Otherwise it tastes fantastic. I added dextrose at 1/2 oz per gallon to give me CO2 of 2.0 volumes. I did it like I always do and have never had a problem. The first 6 days were in my garage in the mid 50s. After seeing it had no carbonation I moved it to the house at 68-70 for another 5 days. Nothing. I actually have no problem drinking it flat but I'm disappointed in terms of aesthetics and expectations. Any thoughts.

Curt

Keep the bottles warm and wait it out. 2 volumes is on the low side and you may have less active yeast with the higher gravity and it's taking longer to carb.

Keep the bottles warm and wait it out. 2 volumes is on the low side and you may have less active yeast with the higher gravity and it's taking longer to carb.

Thanks, I haven't lost faith yet but what is a reasonable expectation for carb time? Will try one a week and see what happens.

Wow! Just cracked a bottle of my RIS. Nicely carbonated after a little over a week at about 68F. Nice! Thanks for the encouragement. I have 12 bottles carbed. I'm moving the rest into the house in the morning.

Has anyone brewed the all grain version of BYO's Old Rasputin clone? I am curious about the instruction to run off 10 gallons of wort and boil it down to five. I am hoping to brew this next weekend if my yeast gets here early enough to get my starter going.

I have not done the BYO clone but the recipe I use usually ends up needing a two hour boil to really develop the color, depth of flavor and correct OG. Lot's of volume for lots of grain, then you need a long boil.

I should say mine is a BIAB brew.

Back