Can i split a batch for the boil i only have a 5 gallon pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick562

Reaction score
Can i split the wort into two different pots to boil it?
Will any problems come around like the IBU's gravity ex-cetera being off?
This is a 5 gallon batch with around a 7-8 gallon boil.

Can i split the wort into two different pots to boil it?
Will any problems come around like the IBU's gravity ex-cetera being off?
This is a 5 gallon batch with around a 7-8 gallon boil.

Yes, you can do that. Try to split everything evenly- the first runnings, the second runnings, the hops, etc so that everything is roughly the same. Chill, and combine. It'll be fine.

thank you will i have to account for the boil loss of both pots?

I do this without a problem. Run off five gallons into your kettle and the remainder into a 3 gallon cooler. Boil off a gallon and a half and top it up with the wort you have in the cooler. Start your hop boil and when finished top off the five gallons with the remainder of your wort runnings. All of this assumes you boil off about a gallon in an hour as I do.

This will increase your efficiency as well; the boil off helps a lot with hitting target OG if you're just getting used to your mash-tun.

I do this without a problem. Run off five gallons into your kettle and the remainder into a 3 gallon cooler. Boil off a gallon and a half and top it up with the wort you have in the cooler. Start your hop boil and when finished top off the five gallons with the remainder of your wort runnings. All of this assumes you boil off about a gallon in an hour as I do.

This will increase your efficiency as well; the boil off helps a lot with hitting target OG if you're just getting used to your mash-tun.

The way I did it was totally different! I split the wort evenly, as described, and the hops evenly, so that both pots were roughly of equal composition. Then combined. My concern with adding some of top-off in one pot is the hops utilization. If you split the wort in half, and add the hops in half, you'll most closely approximate the full boil.

The way I did it was totally different! I split the wort evenly, as described, and the hops evenly, so that both pots were roughly of equal composition. Then combined. My concern with adding some of top-off in one pot is the hops utilization. If you split the wort in half, and add the hops in half, you'll most closely approximate the full boil.

I see what you mean. I took the question to be that he has one five gallon pot like I do, I'd have a helluva time splitting off myself as I don't have the two pots!

If you don't mind, why are you concerned about the hops utilization? There is no top-off during the hop boil only before and after. It takes me a bit longer, but it seems to work.

Back