Wit Saison Recipe for Black Friday--- Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanop

Reaction score
So I'm in the midst of gathering ingredients for a Black Friday brew day. :ban:

I'm looking at making at Wit/Saison using mainly Wheat LME and Fermentis T-58 for the yeast. I have a 1/2lb of Amber DME and figure that I might up the ABV with some table and brown sugar.

For hops, I have 1oz Mt. Hood, 1oz French Strisserspalt and a bunch of whole-leaf Cascade and Chinook. I'd like to showcase the Strisserspalt. My plan is to use them basically as follows:

Bittering: Chinook & Cascade
Flavor: Mt. Hood & Cacade
Aroma and Dry Hop: French Strisserspalt and Mt. Hood

Other ingredients:
Orange Peel, Coriander and Ginger for some Wit-style bitterness
Honey Malt for some sweetness to balance it out

Does this look feasible? If I were to add some black pepper to the boil (1/2 oz) would you recommend adding some extra honey malt? Suggestions/Comments?

The full recipe is here:
http://hopville.com/recipe/404612/saison-recipes/wit-saison

:mug:

That's a pretty busy recipe. Not that I think every beer should be "to style" but generally a beer like that would have restrained hop and spice use, to let the spiciness of the yeast come forward.

If you have spicy yeast, lots of hops, and spices, I think you may be in for a flavor soup situation with a lot of competing flavors, and you might miss out on the complexity of subtler flavors.

mmm... part of the busyness comes from trying to use up some ingredients before holiday cooking takes over my kitchen... and part of it comes from me always wanting to tinker!

The hop schedule might be a bit rough, but my thought was to use the C's for bittering while showcasing the Strisserspalt flavor and aroma. The Mt. Hood seems to support the Strisserspalt rather well. It's not really "to style", but I like my beers hop-forward.

I think you're right though. I'm probably going to cut out the ginger, scale back on the orange peel and stop thinking about the ground pepper. If I feel like it needs it, I can always add it to secondary after tasting.

The SaisonDuMont looks interesting. I'm going to rework my recipe and I'll likely take some inspiration from that (I want to use up some of the ingredients I have on hand so I can't make the DuMont this week...)

Thanks again

Back