double pitching to increased/decreased primary time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, I am doing an imperial brown ale, with an OG in the 1.075-1.080 range and I double pitched S04. I normally do 3wks primary, 1 wk secondary, then to bottle. I am curious, would double pitching alter your time your should let the beer sit in primary? My logic on the matter is split into three directions...

More yeast= more clean-up needed= longer primary

More yeast= more yeast cleaning up= shorter/same primary

More yeast=doing same job= same time in primary

So, which is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

So, I am doing an imperial brown ale, with an OG in the 1.075-1.080 range and I double pitched S04.

Two dry packets of SO4 is the correct amount of yeast to pitch for a 1.080 beer. Time wise, everything stays the same, if not increases when making a higher gravity beer.

What do you mean by "double pitching"

Pitching twice the amount of yeast you normally would?
or
Pitching another batch of yeast at some point in time after the first pitch?

Either way, I would say the main variable on how long your beer should sit in primary depends upon the OG and the type of fermentation you had. Higher OG/warmer fermentation = more cleanup =longer primary time.

cool thanks. I think I will let this one sit 4wks in primary before switching it over...if I even put it into secondary (kegs and fridge might be set up by then)

Thanks again
Kyle

Back