thunderstruck pumpkin - very high OG???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyBrews

Reaction score
i hope this turns out alright.
what is the effect of steeping grains for too long/ hot????

I made the extract thunder struck pumpkin ale last night; i had too run out and pick up my wife and ended up leaving the stove on and steeping the grains for a little over an hour. when i got home the water was boiling lightly (i didn't even think my stove could boil 3 gallons?)

my OG hit 1.7 when it was supposed to be around 1.5something. i used 6# dme when recipe called for 6.25 and also added 1# of brown sugar.

could the brown sugar or steep time have screwed up my OG so bad?

original recipe:

6.25 lbs light DME
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 60.0 min)
.75 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 13 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
Fermentis S-04

My questions:

First, do you routinely leave appliances on and then leave the house?

Second, your OG number don't make sense....1.7? Do you mean 1.070?

Third, you might might have some astringency issues with boiling those grains, instead of steeping them. Not supposed to go above 170F IIRC.

usually don't leave appliances on. accident...after looking at the clock and discovering i was late.

yes, i meant 1.07

what's astingency?

Astringency is a bitter, mouth-puckering, dry taste caused by tannins. Tannins can be extracted from grain hulls in a few different ways, but the most notable way is boiling. For this reason, you want to avoid boiling your steeping grains at all costs, and when steeping, you should shoot to keep your your water between 150-170F, no higher.

Did you notice any such off-flavors? Its possible the sweetness from the pumpkin might have covered it somewhat...who knows.

dang. wort was a little bitter, but also lots of pumpkin 'n spice (1 oz. pumpkin pie spice) in the taste. not too sure b/c this was only my 3rd batch. i won't make that mistake again, but hopefully the pumpkin will cover it up.

would boiling grains lead to a higher gravity? or would 1# brown sugar add a lot to gravity?

I would say the brown sugar is what bumped up the gravity. Boiling grains would inactivate the enzymes responsible for converting starches to sugars (this occurs around 150-160F) so this would not lead to a higher gravity.

Back