Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the Belle saison yeast as I like using dry yeast for convenience. Worked great! Could have probably let it ferment a bit hotter but overall a great aroma with some nice esters. Very approachable saison.

Brewed 10 Gallons of this recipe this morning...and well, everything was going fine until I took a pre-boil reading and noticed I was off.

Went back to my notes...and undershot my temp. ...for some reason, and I do not know why--I thought I was shooting for 154 instead of the 158 I had in my BS print out. My brain must have not been working at 7:30 am just yet.

Came out at 1.056...Oh well, it's still beer ;)

Have 2 5 gallon buckets chilling down in ferm. chamber and will pitch 3711 in one and 565 in the other once they hit 68 degrees.

Brewed 10 Gallons of this recipe this morning...and well, everything was going fine until I took a pre-boil reading and noticed I was off.

Went back to my notes...and undershot my temp. ...for some reason, and I do not know why--I thought I was shooting for 154 instead of the 158 I had in my BS print out. My brain must have not been working at 7:30 am just yet.

Came out at 1.056...Oh well, it's still beer ;)

Have 2 5 gallon buckets chilling down in ferm. chamber and will pitch 3711 in one and 565 in the other once they hit 68 degrees.

I'll say it wasn't working, mash temp is 148!! :drunk:

I'll say it wasn't working, mash temp is 148!! :drunk:

LOL...I should have been more clear...I brought my strike temp up at 154...which resulted in a lower mash temp of 144....and I was at max capacity in my cooler to add any additional hot water...and so it goes.

Brewed 10 gal of this 9 days ago. Followed the original recipe. I have been taking samples along the way and it's been sitting at 1.002 for two days. Can one taste the difference between 1.002 and 1.000. I'm getting Short on patience and want to get this kegged. The samples taste awesome!

Brewed 10 gal of this 9 days ago. Followed the original recipe. I have been taking samples along the way and it's been sitting at 1.002 for two days. Can one taste the difference between 1.002 and 1.000. I'm getting Short on patience and want to get this kegged. The samples taste awesome!

No possible way it would matter. Get that baby on gas and drink up!

s long as you are kegging, you can rush the beer out of the fermentor since the keg acts as a purged secondary. Plus there no risk of it exploding from additional fermentation

I have the ingredients ready for another stab at my extract recipe...
But I was reading into the flaked oats and realized that they must be mashed and not steeped like I did a few months ago
What amount of 2row would I need for the 0.5lb of flaked oats to do a mini mash?
Thanks !

I have the ingredients ready for another stab at my extract recipe...
But I was reading into the flaked oats and realized that they must be mashed and not steeped like I did a few months ago
What amount of 2row would I need for the 0.5lb of flaked oats to do a mini mash?
Thanks !

I've always heard you want to mash an equal amount of 2-row for a given adjunct, so 1/2 lb of 2-row with your oats oughta do it

Opened my first bottle tonight,

I am very Happy with the result, I'm a bit a beginner in tasting but I can really dicern the fruity smell and flavor at the beginning (almost like abricot or pear) and when the fruity taste fade out I get the pepper at the end.

I should brew another one soon to make sure I don't run out :p

i have made this recipe twice now and it is fantastic! 1st batch exactly as OP recipe; 2nd batch changed hops to EKG and yeast to WL 565. Both turned out great. Question: I would like to xperiment with rye in a saison. Building off of this recipe, any recommendation as to morph this into a rye saison?

I've been wanting to try a saison for a while now and this seems like a winner all around. I've read threw about 40 pages of This thread and it has only made me want to brew it more.

It doesn't look like I can get my hands on any sorachi ace hops would saaz be a good alternative? Or could anyone recommend something better?

I plan to split the batch into two fermentors because I have some wild yeast I got off some grapes that I really want to try out.

saaz and sorachi ace are very different. Saaz is a good hop for any Belgian style beer where sorachi ace is a much more aggressive hop usually suited for IPAs. I would just pick any other bold IPA hop you like and use that. Preferably something lemony/citrusy

Also, Southern Cross would be the closest direct substitution

Make sure you account for the higher ibus in the Sorachi otherwise it will end up a lot more bitter. Sorachi tends to be 15% AA or so while Saaz is around 4 or 5.

Just doughed in another batch of this. Going for a bit more honey this time so I tweaked the recipe a bit.

- 2 Row instead of Pilsner (LHBS was out at the time)
- added 1/2 pound honey malt
- Might add orange and lemon zest at flameout
- Might up the honey addition to 1.5 lbs

First brew day in over 2 months. This brew almost always goes smoothly so hopefully it'll be a good choice to get back into it :mug:

I plan to bottle 5 gallons (or close to it) next weekend. What is the recommended amount of priming sugar needed for this style of brew?

Brewed this today everything went great until I started to chill the wort and realized I didn't add the pepper. I sanitized a hop bag with the pepper in it and threw the chilling wort. Anyone know how this will work out for me?? It's was added more like a flame out addition apposed to a 5 min addition.

Hit 1.060 for my OG.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446420220.092815.jpg

Brewed this today everything went great until I started to chill the wort and realized I didn't add the pepper. I sanitized a hop bag with the pepper in it and threw the chilling wort. Anyone know how this will work out for me?? It's was added more like a flame out addition apposed to a 5 min addition.

Hit 1.060 for my OG.View attachment 313312

I'm glad I read this post, because I just realized I totally forgot the pepper too haha.
You shouldn't notice a difference between a 5 minute and a flameout addition. I'd guess you could probably add it after fermentation kicks off and it would be fine there too

I plan to bottle 5 gallons (or close to it) next weekend. What is the recommended amount of priming sugar needed for this style of brew?

I like to shoot for about 2.5 vol of CO2 on my saison, some will tell you to go up to 3. I think that 2.5 vols is plent of carbonation and at 3 it becomes too prickly, but that's just my preference.

I just bottled a version of this on Sunday.

Only changes were using Amarillo instead of the Fuggle and I started fermentation at 66 for 3 days then rose to 78 by day 10. I also ended up using White Labs Saison II as it's all the LHBS had in stock.

Samples tasted good, the oats really give it a lot of mouthfeel!

The esters/phenols are a little light compared to my last saison I brewed with The Yeast Bay Saison blend, but I'm excited to see how it is once it's all carbed up.

If I were to not mash out and do a fly sparge with 170* water that took about 45 minutes, what would be wrong with that? What makes the mash out here important?

The mashout destroys the enzymes responsible for the starch conversion to sugars. It "locks" in teh sugar profile. If you sparge at 170, its essentially a mashout anyway

Bottled 5 gal and kegged another 5 gal today.

Counting down the days.

I was just going over my recipes and just realized I used flacked barley instead of flaked oats. Is that going to make a big difference

IME, not really. Oats may give more of a slick mouthfeel and barley a bit mroe head retention, but you wont notice unless it was like 30% of the recipe. Even then, it wouldnt be too discernable

It's only been 5 days in the Keg so it's not fully carbed at the level you might expect for a Saison. HOWEVER, it is every bit as good!

I am so impressed with this...it might be the best batch of beer I have made!!

Thank you so much for this recipe...this has given me hope that I CAN make very good beer.

I'm going to pick up ingredients for this today. Last time I made this I came in at 1.052 and it ended up being one of the best beers I have made. So I am going to shoot for 1.055 (not 1.062 per the original recipe). Last time I used 3711. I will make 10 gallons this time and do 5 gallons with 3711 and 5 gallons with 3724. No adjustments to the hop ratios or times.

I'm going to pick up ingredients for this today. Last time I made this I came in at 1.052 and it ended up being one of the best beers I have made. So I am going to shoot for 1.055 (not 1.062 per the original recipe). Last time I used 3711. I will make 10 gallons this time and do 5 gallons with 3711 and 5 gallons with 3724. No adjustments to the hop ratios or times.

I would try blending them. Either together or with any other saison or belgian yeast. All of the best saisons Ive made have been from blending yeasts

I would try blending them. Either together or with any other saison or belgian yeast. All of the best saisons Ive made have been from blending yeasts

That's an interesting idea. Not sure if I would be able to talk myself into doing that. I've used 3711 before but I want to know what 3724 is like on its own. Seeing as how good this recipe is, I'll probably end up making it again next year and can do it then. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Side note: just picked up the ingredients and the yeast they gave me is from July 15th, and it's already November 13th. Seems pretty old to me. I'll probably have to make a starter for each tonight then... I wasn't planning on making a starter for each of the 5 gallon batches.

Not my intention to double-post and perhaps I could make a separate thread for this question, but I'll start here anyways. Since I now know how to accurately hit my pre-boil gravity by either adding more water to dilute it and then adjust the hops accordingly, or on the flip side boil down more to concentrate the wort, I'm trying to figure out in my head how to properly FWH. I would be hesitant to add them as I am sparging because I may need to boil longer to get the desired pre-boil gravity. Anyone how to to do this properly?

Finally found the time to brew another batch.

I did a minimash with 2-row, c-60 and flaked oats, then used LME to make up the rest. My mini mash was more effiient than I was aiming for, so my OG is 1.070 :D Unfortunately I wasn't very organized and left out some hops at the end of the boil :( Hopefully this doesn't effect me too bad!

Pitched my old slurry in the low 60's and I will let the 3711 do its thing :mug:

Back