OKT Fest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR_Brewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 @68
Tasting Notes
Nice malt up front with clean noble hop bitterness.
I was looking to brew an extract Oktoberfest, but I don't have lagering equipment. I developed the following recipe to brew a Oktoberfest-style ale using Wyeast 1007. Tasted it over the weekend and it got great reviews, so I figured it was worth posting here. Didn't have the clarity of a true Oktoberfest but that was expected. A good alternative for those of us who don't have room for lagering equipment. Enjoy!

Boil Volume: 3 gallons

Weyermann Caramunich III - 1 lb crushed
Briess Carapils - 8oz crushed

NB Pilsen Malt Syrup 3.15 lbs. (60 min)
NB Munich Malt Syrup 3.15 lbs. (30 min)
Briess Pilsen DME 2 lb (split 60 & 30 min)

German Tettnang 1 oz. (60 min)
Czech*Saaz 1 oz. (10 min)
German Hersbrucker 1 oz (5 min)

Good luck, let me know how it comes out. One note, I would change the 30 minute malt additions to 10-15 minutes. No need to boil extract that long.

I was looking to brew an extract Oktoberfest, but I don't have lagering equipment. I developed the following recipe to brew a Oktoberfest-style ale using Wyeast 1007. Tasted it over the weekend and it got great reviews, so I figured it was worth posting here. Didn't have the clarity of a true Oktoberfest but that was expected. A good alternative for those of us who don't have room for lagering equipment. Enjoy!
Oktoberfest is the style I wanted to start with (after a 20 year hiatus from brewing). You've given me a recipe I can use before I assemble my lagering equipment.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

glad to have finally found an extract recipe, but damn 60 days fermentation, i want it now lol. but yes i know all good things. How did this turn out?

It's popular each year I've made it. However, I've switched over to AG/PM so have adapted the recipe accordingly. Also, this year I'm actually lagering it for the first time. My brew-buddy and I brewed up a 10 gall batch and split it up. I lagered and he just used an ale yeast (I think 1007 like listed above). My batch is still at lagering temp, so we'll miss actual Oktoberfest. But, once mine is finished, we'll have a taste test to see if it worth the extra time and effort to lager.

Hope that helps, happy Oktoberfest!

Sorry, I haven't been logging on regularly, didn't mean to ignore your question.

So beers can be broken into 2 major categories, ales and lagers. Ale yeast ferments at the top and at temps at approx 60-70 deg. Lots of variation, but basically cellar/room temps.

Lager yeast ferments cool, usually in the 40's. Then after you complete the primary fermentation for a lager (1-2 weeks), you drop the temperature down near freezing for 2-3 months of cold aging. This cold aging is called lagering.

Hope this helps. Sorry, long answer to a short question. My temps and times are approximate, and vary based on the strain of yeast you use.

Sorry, I haven't been logging on regularly, didn't mean to ignore your question.

So beers can be broken into 2 major categories, ales and lagers. Ale yeast ferments at the top and at temps at approx 60-70 deg. Lots of variation, but basically cellar/room temps.

Lager yeast ferments cool, usually in the 40's. Then after you complete the primary fermentation for a lager (1-2 weeks), you drop the temperature down near freezing for 2-3 months of cold aging. This cold aging is called lagering.

Hope this helps. Sorry, long answer to a short question. My temps and times are approximate, and vary based on the strain of yeast you use.

No worries. I actually was able to find it on my own eventually. Im still looking into everything, but will stick with the ales until i get a bigger set up

Back