Home-made Wort Chiller for under $15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegularBrady

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post, so Hi! I am doing my first brew right now and I decided that i needed a wort chiller for my next batch. I looked up some stuff on this site and others and decided to go to Lowe's and make on myself. It looks like its going to work out well. I am using a plastic tube instead of copper due to costs. If anyone is interested in making one yourself, let me know and I can do a How-To with pictures.

Hey RB, welcome to HBT!

Have you tried it yet? Not sure how much heat transfer you will get with the plastic tubing. How well did it work?

what kind of plastic did you get? cpvc? will it stand up to the boiling temps of the wort? -- and last but not least, how are you using it: are you going to pump the wort through it like a counterflow or plate chiller, or put it in the wort and pump cold water through like an imersion chiller?

i am going to pump the water thru it like imr. chiller. im going to do a test with some water, but do everything like i would during brewing. So, like i said i will up date this tomorrow:tank:

Either way there wont be enough heat transfer - i tried something similar when i had first started brewing and the results were terrible

These guys are right...you are likely to be disappointed using plastic of any kind for chilling. Copper is used for a reason...

Latest posts

Back