Gusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
Just opened one of my Phat Tyre Ales and it's a gusher after 2 1/2 weeks in the bottle. I had it in the fridge for 24 hours and it gushed like crazy when opened. This beer was in primary for 1 week and secondary for two weeks. The FG was higher than I had expected at 1.018 and I made sure sure to gently stir in the priming sugar before racking.. Should I be concerned with the rest of the batch? I tasted it as I was bottling it and it was slightly carbonated then. I did notice that there was a ring of brown scum that floated up during the gushing in addition tho the cloudy yeast sediment that is usually on the bottom. On a side note it's very tasty. This is only my second batch so I'm not totally freaking out yet.:mug:

For some reason, it looks like the fermentation stalled. 1.018 FG sounds too high. I'm guessing all/most of your bottles will be gushers. In fact, I'd keep them all in some kind of tupperware container in case you have one explode. That'll keep from making a mess wherever you store them if you do have one blow up. They'll all be fine to drink, though. Just a little over-carbed.

For some reason, it looks like the fermentation stalled. 1.018 FG sounds too high. I'm guessing all/most of your bottles will be gushers. In fact, I'd keep them all in some kind of tupperware container in case you have one explode. That'll keep from making a mess wherever you store them if you do have one blow up. They'll all be fine to drink, though. Just a little over-carbed.

+1 .

Tastybrew.com has a priming calculator that works well. According to it an Amber APA 5 gal batch bottled at 70* Fehrenhiet should need 4.5 oz of priming sugar (dextrose or corn). I can only guess that you used a 5 oz package of priming sugar that came with a kit or pre-packaged? That's ok though as it's what most do until they learn that differing conditions and styles call for different amounts of primer. Personally I would have left it in primary another week before racking to secondary, but that's just me. The beer should be fine. Just keep it cool and in something incase of explosions like Lil Sparky advised.

Update on the gusher. Seems that the one gusher is the only one so far. I've opened three since the gusher and they have all been carbonated perfectly. As for the Phat Tyre Ale, it's OK but I wouldn't brew it again. I liked the Nut Brown Ale that was my first brew much better.:mug:

Back