Dry yeast expiration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronsBrew

Reaction score
Found an old brew kit it's probably 1 to 2 years old. All ingredients are vacuum sealed and do not have an expiration date on them. Do you think this is still legit to use?

Dry yeast will remain viable for quite a while if properly stored in a refrigerator but for the little cost of a new pack of yeast would you risk the cost of the kit if it fails? I'd have a new pack of yeast on hand to use before I even considered opening the kit and then I'd throw out the yeast included with the kit.

I've had dry yeast in my fridge for a few years now. They are 2010 and 2011 expiration. Used the last of the 2010 in a pale ale recently. Took all of 24 hours to show krausen, when pitched directly dry into the wort. US-05. S-04 same thing a month ago on an English IPA about 7% ABV.

Go for it!

Well it hasn't been in my fridge but has been in an area that stays around 60* F. I live in England and the brew store is about an hour away. Everything is so expensive over here and there's no exp date on the package....so I wasn't sure if I should take the gamble. What do you think?

In a fridge dry yest will lose only about 4% viability per year. I don't know the number at room temp, but it is probably in the 20 to 40% range.

I'd give it a go. make sure you rehydrate it rather than just tossing it in to give yourself the best chance.

I just checked Mr. Malty and it claims dry yeast viability is 46% after 2 years. Go for it!

You could always make a starter to boost the cell count if you're worried about it. There is nothing wrong with doing that with dry yeast; I've done it more than once.

You could always make a starter to boost the cell count if you're worried about it. There is nothing wrong with doing that with dry yeast; I've done it more than once.

+1. If you are that concerned, a starter will alleviate them. Any which way, do you really have that much to lose? Seriously, you found an old kit. Even if you paid for it originally, it was money lost back then and it is now considered free. And if you didn't pay for it, well, it's free. I look at it as nothing to lose but the time to make it. I say make a starter and verify the yeast viability. And when that's proven, make a beer. I'll bet that the yeast is still good if the temps were where you say they were.

Back