3 tier system using pulleys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony3696

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a hanging 3 tier system using pulleys. The thought is I can hang 5 gallon coolers from my garage rafters using pulleys and have my kettle/burner on the floor. It would offer an infinitely adjustable system without lifting 180 degree water over my head. What do you think?

I've thought of doing this but I would want the "shelf" to slide on a frame of some sort to keep it steady. I'd also want ratcheting lock mechanisms in case of pulley/cable/rope failure so I don't drop anything to the floor. I say go for it, so I can steal it. :p

I was thinking of using a come-a-long type ratcheting crank, or mabye the boat winch from a trailer. Then I could have the safety-locking I was looking for. Those boat winches are cheap. Only need to hoist the HLT in my case, as the MLT is table level and the BK is down on a burner stand.

The thing is to ease the load of the lift you would need some pretty big pulleys. There is also some danger involved in the pulley setup vs. a pump. I think you are better off with a pump.

I've thought about the same thing. I dislike having a pump as I can't see that it is clean inside (without taking it apart). I also find that draining the mash tun with the pump gets me a stuck sparge, when I just gravity drain it I don't get that.

There's no reason to see inside a pump or to take it apart to clean it. I had 20 batches on my march pump before I ever thought to open it up. It looked factory new just from running hot water through it after each brew.

I certainly wouldn't want to be hoisting a container of 180F water over my head.

Bobby_M said:
There's no reason to see inside a pump or to take it apart to clean it. I had 20 batches on my march pump before I ever thought to open it up. It looked factory new just from running hot water through it after each brew.

I certainly wouldn't want to be hoisting a container of 180F water over my head.

Agreed boiling water running through my system leaves the pump spotless. In fact that's all that I use to clean my system.

peristaltic pumps for the win...albeit not as cost effective as a march pump, but you would have no fear at all being able to see inside the tubing.

Agreed boiling water running through my system leaves the pump spotless. In fact that's all that I use to clean my system.

+1 after 8 batches I had the same experience. Clean as a whistle - but I cycle hot water through it from the hlt at the end.

never has a stuck sparge from pumping from the MT either

Back