Brewsculpture Design Critique - SketchUp Rendering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglassBrewer

Reaction score
Ok, so originally this started as a thread about materials for a brew sculpture. Considering I've moved on to a more "critique my design" stage I thought it could use a new thread.

Original Thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/raw-material-question-brewsculpture-284346/

So after some designing I came up with what I think will be a final design. Not all of the fixtures are complete (like sight glasses or thermometers) but enough for me to get the layout down. I also realized that I did almost all the hoses in 3/4" radius instead of 3/4" diameter! But I only figured it out after doing almost all of the stages for the hoses so if I have spare time I'll go back and do it.

For those of you that have Sketchup here is the link to the model in the 3D warehouse:

Single Tier Brewstand by Ender - Google 3D Warehouse

I have attached the 5 screenshots of the rig for you guys to see. Below on the right is the propane tank. Bottom left is a cooler that I will run a coil through an ice bath before it goes to the plate chiller.

Let me know if you guys have any critiques or advice!

Rig.jpg

HLT to MLT.jpg

Sparging or Vorlauf.jpg

MLT to BK.jpg

Chilling.jpg

Batch sparge or fly sparge? If fly, you are going to need another pump.

I also don't think you need the cooler if you are using a plate chiller. I go from boil straight into the carboy at 80degrees with my plate chiller, no ice bath, just ground water.

Are you intending on keeping the propane tank under the burner when you are operating or only during storage?

Well this is a little further down the line. But I wanted to design it out so I could then price all the parts I will need. Gives me a better idea of when I WILL be able to start it.

Peter_h: just batch sparging for now. I figure I can always buy another pump to fly sparge if I want to upgrade. Do you re-circulate back into the boil kettle until you reach 80deg or do you just one-shot it straight to carboy? If it is overkill, won't it just give me a cleaner cold break?

You can always buy another pump but if you are building the stand and you have a mounting bracket and pump sheild for 1 pump specked out, it might be harder to just add another pump later.

However, if you are set on batch sparging then you don't have anything to worry about.

I use a 60plate chiller from keg cowboy. Gravity fed, it goes 210ish at the kettle and exits straight into the carboy at about 80 degrees, i have to restrict the outflow on the chiller to about 1/2 to achieve this but is really nice for it to exit at close to pitching temp.

I do not need to recirculate. Recirculating with a plate chiller is actually a really bad idea. If you want to recirculate and possible whirlpool, you should use your coil.

Hmmm interesting. I've starting looking into counterflow chillers as they can be priced about the same as a Therminator but aren't as a pain to clean (or so I have read).

I plan on batch sparging so I should be fine with the 1 pump. The housing I've got shown I plan on being able to slide back so it isn't hanging out when not in use. I can always re-drill holes somewhere else to move it if I add another pump.

What do you guys think of getting rid of the two middle uprights on the front of the design? Do you think I will need them for support? I kind of want to clear it out to make it much more visually appealing.

Hey guys, I think I'm going to switch to a 23 tip jet burner:

23 Tip Round Nozzle Jet Burner

Does anyone have one that could give me exact measurements of diameter, etc. so I can model it in my SketchUp design?

Also trying to get it so that I can store everything below and have nothing protruding when it isn't in use.

Back