Barley crusher question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
i want to buy a mill so i can mill my malt but first i want to be sure if it costs because someone told me which i can use meat grinder instead.so i used meat grinder for a small amount of malts.malts was crushed into smaller pieces and it produced more flour than ready crushed malts.i want to know what is the disadvantages of more flour and smaller grain pieces because i read somewhere the grains should be crush into two pieces or so which only can be achieved by barley crusher ? is that right ?
thanks.

The main problem with crushing grain until it becomes a flour is that you'll probably get stuck sparges. It depends on your equipment and methods, but everyone is looking for some variation of having the grain split open so that the flour part gets trapped by the grain husks. The cheapest barley crushing mill is a corona mill. The more expensive ones are more convenient, but any will get you good effeciency if used properly.

Well, not to confuse the issue here, but a good grain crusher will strip off and leave the husk (hull) more or less in one piece, and shatter the body of the grain into maybe 6 pieces. And in a pound of grain milling, I would expect a very small handfull of "flour", or fines.

BIAB or traditional lauter-tun can both leave some fines in the wort, but they will settle out and not be a factor long term, in my opinion. So to answer your question I think much of the flour can escape the bag. But virtually all, 100%, of the grain "dust" will settle out in your fermenter if you give it some time.

Back