Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deepcdan99 said:
I pitched my yeast the same as all my other brews, came out fine with one pack of 1056.

That's liquid yeast (which you should do a starter with, especially higher gravity beers.) In the first post I recommended two packs of dry yeast because it's what the mr malty calculator have me as proper pitching rate.

Brewed this on 9/24. Drinking it today, pretty tasty, i drastically reduced the amount of spices, they are barely noticeable in the final beer, which is fine with me. i lightly rim the glass with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and sugar for those who want it to taste like pumpkin pie.

when i went to keg, i opened the primary and it smelled like someone farted in it. i was worried the beer was ruined, however the finished beer has zero fart taste or aroma.

Brewed this on 9/24. Drinking it today, pretty tasty, i drastically reduced the amount of spices, they are barely noticeable in the final beer, which is fine with me. i lightly rim the glass with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and sugar for those who want it to taste like pumpkin pie

What was your F.G. I brewed this on the 23rd and pitched 2 pks of US-05 on the evening of the 24th.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/my-first-all-grain-biab-no-chill-356409/

I took a sample today. It tastes good, but I'm not sure how a good pumpkin beer should taste. There was less spice than I remember in the previous sample.

Gravity is 1.020 which is the same as it was on day 7 (today is day 18). My O.G. was 1.066. There has been no audible activity in the blow off tube for over a week, although I have seen a number of tiny bubbles collected around the tube in the water bottle. I have kept the temp around 65-66. I will have to leave it for an extra week in the primary since I will be going out of town for a week beginning on Monday (day 21). I will transfer to secondary when I get back and bottle it a few days later, on my next day off.

I decided to put a small blow dryer into the freezer to bring the temp up to 68 to see if the yeast will do any more work to bring the gravity down.

I hope this is going to be OK. I'm surprised that the gravity isn't any lower.

Keith

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012

fermented @ 62 for a few days and then ramped up to 68 or so.

your temp looks fine, perhaps you mashed higher?

Got my mash goin now, totally missed my mash temp. Sittin at about 145 now, and I'm not too happy. I tried to add another 3/4 gal of hot water (about 170), didn't help. I'm just gonna ride it out I suppose. Probably finish very dry as well, but I'm gonna add some Vanilla Butter and Nut extract when I keg, so hopefully it'll be decent.

I followed my usual procedure and I usually hit my mash temps a lot better. I think the added pumpkin threw me off. First time trying a pumpkin. We'll see how it goes.

Brewed this on 9/24. Drinking it today, pretty tasty, i drastically reduced the amount of spices, they are barely noticeable in the final beer, which is fine with me. i lightly rim the glass with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and sugar for those who want it to taste like pumpkin pie.

when i went to keg, i opened the primary and it smelled like someone farted in it. i was worried the beer was ruined, however the finished beer has zero fart taste or aroma.
Well I'm glad there's no more farty smell. As far as reducing the spices and rimming your glass, that totally works if you want to fine-tune the spice amounts to your exact taste. Well done :mug:

Gravity is 1.020 which is the same as it was on day 7 (today is day 18). My O.G. was 1.066. There has been no audible activity in the blow off tube for over a week, although I have seen a number of tiny bubbles collected around the tube in the water bottle. I have kept the temp around 65-66. I will have to leave it for an extra week in the primary since I will be going out of town for a week beginning on Monday (day 21). I will transfer to secondary when I get back and bottle it a few days later, on my next day off.

I decided to put a small blow dryer into the freezer to bring the temp up to 68 to see if the yeast will do any more work to bring the gravity down.

I hope this is going to be OK. I'm surprised that the gravity isn't any lower.

Keith
Meh the yeast will do just fine at mid-60's. But yeah, FG of 1.020 isn't too unusual when you mash high (like 156-158.) It's only 2 points higher than my usual expected FG. And giving it another week is a good idea. I always do a minimum 4 week primary.

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012

fermented @ 62 for a few days and then ramped up to 68 or so.

your temp looks fine, perhaps you mashed higher?
Hey if it tastes good then a lower FG is fine. Giving up body for more alcohol isn't exactly the worst thing in the world :drunk:

Mine is coming out a bit dry....OG 1.064, FG (currently 15 days in primary) 1.006

tastes pretty good though.
Glad it tastes good but dang that's low. Did your mash temps drop?

Got my mash goin now, totally missed my mash temp. Sittin at about 145 now, and I'm not too happy. I tried to add another 3/4 gal of hot water (about 170), didn't help. I'm just gonna ride it out I suppose. Probably finish very dry as well, but I'm gonna add some Vanilla Butter and Nut extract when I keg, so hopefully it'll be decent.

I followed my usual procedure and I usually hit my mash temps a lot better. I think the added pumpkin threw me off. First time trying a pumpkin. We'll see how it goes.
Oh wow that's low. Well you can always add some lactose to the boil or before bottling/kegging... or whenever, really. Otherwise you can just let it ride and I'm sure it'll be fine. You might need to give it a few extra weeks to condition in bottles/keg to make sure any alcohol heat mellows out.

In the future, see one of my previous posts below that details my trick to making sure mash temps are correct when adding pumpkin:
That can definitely happen. My trick is to put the strike water in the mash tun (usually a little hotter than necessary), add the soaked rice hulls, then add the pumpkin. That way the water might still be a little hot but can be easily remedied by stirring to bring the temp down. It's a lot easier than trying to bring the temp back up with hot water.

Then I dough-in once the temp is right.

Well, I got this brew in the mashtun as I type. I only had one large and one small can of pumpkin (thought I had 2 small).

To make sure I hit my temp, I added pumpkin first, took the temp, then adjusted up and hit ~ 156.5, so I am happy.
About 30 mins till I get to start draining. Smells good, but doesn't it always!

Hoping this to be bottled and ready for thanksgiving. Also hoping this to be the first beer (ever, not just mine) that the SWMBO likes.

Also, has anyone noticed that the 5 min hop addition adds anything noticeable? Just curious.... Also considering moving the spice addition to 5 minutes to retain a little more flavor and aroma.

Now this has turned into a complete disaster. Tryin to drain from my mash tun now and it's stuck beyond belief. I've had stuck sparges before, but nothing remotely close to this. I even used about a pound of rice hulls. NEVER had such a debacle on a batch before. Now I'm trying to decide how to get rid of the mess that's in my mash tun.

Also, has anyone noticed that the 5 min hop addition adds anything noticeable? Just curious.... Also considering moving the spice addition to 5 minutes to retain a little more flavor and aroma.
Meh, I felt the slight floral and spicy aromas from the noble hops would be a nice addition. Not terribly noticeable really but it's just my personal taste. As far as the spices go, I don't know why the OP still says 10. I've been doing 5 the last two years. I'll change that :D

Now this has turned into a complete disaster. Tryin to drain from my mash tun now and it's stuck beyond belief. I've had stuck sparges before, but nothing remotely close to this. I even used about a pound of rice hulls. NEVER had such a debacle on a batch before. Now I'm trying to decide how to get rid of the mess that's in my mash tun.
Well crap. Did you at least get a proper pre-boil volume?

Nah, not even tryin to go any further with it. I've got other stuff to do today, so I hadn't planned on the need for extra time dedicated to the brew. At this point I've managed to force about a gallon and a half of liquid out of the mash, continuously scraping my bazooka tube with my paddle. I don't even want to know what it would take to finish a 6 gallon sparge. Two years without anything like this happening, I'll just chalk this one up as a learning experience. I'll maybe stay away from another pumpkin attempt until I get some different gear. Really bums me out.

Well, mash and sparge went well, got slow at times, but manifold kept draining!

If I want more spice profile...have you ever added at flameout?

ForumRunner_20121014_142656.jpg

Nailed it!!!

Thanks Reno!!

Hydro sample it a little bitter sweet, but I try not to judge too soon.
ForumRunner_20121014_161826.jpg

The bitter is probably from the spices. Don't worry, everything will mellow and meld together. Just be sure to be patient and give it time. Four weeks primary is the minimum I recommend.

Thanks. I'll try to give it 4 weeks, but I wanna have it ready for thanksgiving, and I don't keg.

Shoot! Looks like I have a stuck fermentation! Gravity is still at 1.037 (exactly the same as 7 days ago). The taste is good, but a lot sweeter than I would like. Any ideas? I used WLP001 fermenting at 67F for 3 weeks.

AirricK said:
Shoot! Looks like I have a stuck fermentation! Gravity is still at 1.037 (exactly the same as 7 days ago). The taste is good, but a lot sweeter than I would like. Any ideas? I used WLP001 fermenting at 67F for 3 weeks.

Wow that's strange. What was your mash temp and are you sure your thermometer is calibrated?

The bitter is probably from the spices. Don't worry, everything will mellow and meld together. Just be sure to be patient and give it time. Four weeks primary is the minimum I recommend.

This is an absolute true statement. Mine tastes like a completely different beer after sitting in the keezer for a month. Probably one of the top 5 best tasting beers I have made.....thanks for posting Reno!!

Wow that's strange. What was your mash temp and are you sure your thermometer is calibrated?

I don't remember the exact mash temp, but I think it was a little high. I have it sitting in a freezer with a temp controller set at 65 which keeps the liquid at 67. Is there any way to fix this?

I don't remember the exact mash temp, but I think it was a little high. I have it sitting in a freezer with a temp controller set at 65 which keeps the liquid at 67. Is there any way to fix this?

Now that you're this far along, it won't hurt to raise the temp to around 70, swirl the fermenter, and say a few prayers. Last resort you can add some amylase (try a teaspoon only to start) and check back in a few days.

Made a 1/2 batch of this using the BIAB method and pitched yeast last night . Hit my mash @ 156 and OG was a little high @ 1.70. Pretty excited to try this in a few weeks! I'm trying to keep the temp low 60's with a frozen 2L bottle and moving blanket.

Mine is getting better as it sits in the keg. It's about 3 weeks old at this point, can't remember off the top of my head :drunk:

Those of you who have added bourbon to this, have you added to bottles? if so, what is the rough percentage do you add to a 5g batch usually?

I just tasted this and will be bottling next week, it tastes delicious!!!

I mis-posted this in a thread for gluten free beers so....oops. Anyway, question is the same. How can I modify this wheat batch.

I have two questions on the back of this. I'm trying to make a Harvest Wheat due to well, I got a great deal on some still fresh summer wheat all grain components and I'd like to use them. BUT!! I want to change it up and add sweet potato, pumpkin, craisins and wild rice to the grains for a flavor change. My questions are as follows:
1. How much grain should I remove in a 5 gal batch recipe to add this in? I was thinking about 20-25%, but I don't mind making a stronger 5 gallon batch. the beer strong. (For fall/winter, it is desirable.)
2. Making things from wild rice, and not having wild rice flake, do I just boil it like I would instant rice to gelatinize it and then add it in the mash?
3. Planning on adding spice as well: cinnamon sticks, clove, all-spice powder, fennel on the pattern above. Has anyone ever added this to a wheat beer?
4. The syrup, molasses and maltodextrin...I'm assuming this is relative to a dubble and not needed in a wheat style brew?
5. While I'm slapping the style in the face, I plan on dry hopping this and floating some craisins in it for about 4-5 days in secondary. Any thoughts?

PS -- my first all grain 5 gallon batch btw. Batch sparging in used equipment I need to test for water leakage, so if that changes anything...fire away.

Yep, sorry should've clarified. I planned to keep in primary for 3 weeks (maybe a month), then off to bottles for 2-3 more before trying one.

Are you guys washing this yeast or is it really difficult to seperate the pumpking puree & spices? I guess at the worst I could wash and just use for another batch of this if I like it.

Washing is probably the best bet here, yeah. I just grabbed it, personally. I don't think whatever trub is in my yeast is going to impart much if anything to my next beer. I did a good long cold-crash, too, which generally leaves hard trub on the bottom and more runny yeast on the top.

Woo, Reno you were right about it dropping. Only day 11 and I've gone from 1.072~1.010! (Mash dropped to 148 ) I'm hoping it stays right here. I will check again in another couple days. That's a good 8.3%, a little hot when drinking it but it tastes and smells really good other than that. It's also pretty clear. Here's a pic to show clarity, I've been drinking it so don't pay attention to the ready

image-1522465696.jpg

Thanks for the recipe!

I just built a mashtun from a home depot 5 gallon cooler and I'm afraid it's to small. If I do 1.5 qt/lb I don't see how 12# of grain and 4.5 gallons are going to fit in a 5 gallon space. Am I missing something? Or should I get a 10 gallon?

Walshy87 said:
I just built a mashtun from a home depot 5 gallon cooler and I'm afraid it's to small. If I do 1.5 qt/lb I don't see how 12# of grain and 4.5 gallons are going to fit in a 5 gallon space. Am I missing something? Or should I get a 10 gallon?

Mash thicker, lower efficiency. Otherwise get a 10g cooler

Walshy87 said:

I also used a 5 gallon cooler for this recipe and it came out at 80% eff and 9% ABV. Finished at 1.014. Delicious. It was to the brim with grain but mash then fly sparge worked great.

Back