Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At these prices it's a no-brainer. Provided that you have a food saver and a freezer to keep them in, 2008 crop will hold up just fine for a year or more.

I have all that, it just makes me nervous. But I still have a buttload left from last year so either id better get brewing or face my fears.:)

Capture-5.jpg

Anyone willing to post billing breakdown for your orders. I'm trying to gauge how much cost per ounce benifit there is in ordering multiple pounds. Thinking about organizing a brewclub group buy if there's a big break in shipping for large orders.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone willing to post billing breakdown for your orders. I'm trying to gauge how much cost per ounce benifit there is in ordering multiple pounds. Thinking about organizing a brewclub group buy if there's a big break in shipping for large orders.

Thanks in advance!

I ordered 1 lb. earlier and the order was like $24 for the hops and $11 shipping.

I remember the shipping being way more than I expected, and I've seen others posting very similar cost for a few pounds, so I think that the larger the order, the better the price per ounce would be.

The one thing that irks me is the fact that they do not show the shipping charges at the time the order is placed, nor when they send the invoice. Everyone else in the world can do this. Seems like not a big deal to have that feature.

Well I ordered 10# and the cost was was $100.75. I'm estimating the shipping costs at $20.00. That's $.75/oz. w/shipping. My order shipped yesterday and it weighs 15#.

I've ordered from them many times before and there's usually about 1# of packaging between the box and the bags, so I'll probably end up with roughly 13.5-14# of hops. That takes the price per ounce down to $.56/oz and $.54/oz respectively.

The one thing that irks me is the fact that they do not show the shipping charges at the time the order is placed, nor when they send the invoice. Everyone else in the world can do this. Seems like not a big deal to have that feature.

A quick phone call and Carla will help you out, no worries.

People just don't like making phone calls these days, do they? :rolleyes:

So, these hops are from last year of course. I'm a bit worried about the quality of year-old hops, but should I be? The prices are great, but I don't want to get stuck with tons of hops with poor AA, flavor or aroma. What's the expected life for leaf and pellet hops?

Oh, and to answer the question above:

I ordered 9 lbs. of hops a few months ago as part of a 3-way split with some buds. The total for the order was $169 including shipping. They split the order into two boxes and the shipping total was $18 to Northern California. Kind of steep for shipping, but my average price for hops was under $1.18 per ounce. And that was at prices much higher than they have now. Considering they usually put a couple ounces extra in each 1lb. bag, that's a considerable savings over my LHBS or any online brew store.

A quick phone call and Carla will help you out, no worries.

People just don't like making phone calls these days, do they? :rolleyes:

I don't mind making phone calls, I just think that the convenience is nice, and it's very common, so why not include it? They have a nice website, the shipping calculator would be a great addition.

So, these hops are from last year of course. I'm a bit worried about the quality of year-old hops, but should I be? The prices are great, but I don't want to get stuck with tons of hops with poor AA, flavor or aroma. What's the expected life for leaf and pellet hops?

My LHBS carries lots of hops that are "repackaged from 2007 stock", and they're always great. I've noticed no poor performance of these hops in my beers at all. Stored properly, in vacuum sealed or nitrogen purged bags, in a fridge or freezer, they should remain good for a couple of years at least. Others may have had different experiences, but this is my experience.

I was planning on buying some hops together with a friend to save on shipping. If we each buy a pound of amarillo, will hopsdirect send two 1lb bags or one 2lb bag of hops?

I was planning on buying some hops together with a friend to save on shipping. If we each buy a pound of amarillo, will hopsdirect send two 1lb bags or one 2lb bag of hops?

Just got my order in from just before the sale (still waiting on a price-matching decision). In addition to two 1 pound orders of different hops, I also ordered 2 pounds of NB hops, and they came in SEPARATE bags, each just over a pound.

On a related note, just weighed the 4 pounds that I ordered, and each "1 pound bag" was about 18.5 ounces :ban:

Quick question: One of the bags, while sealed, seems to have lost the suction around the hops a little. Should I just use this one first and not worry about it?

Just got my order in from just before the sale (still waiting on a price-matching decision). In addition to two 1 pound orders of different hops, I also ordered 2 pounds of NB hops, and they came in SEPARATE bags, each just over a pound.

On a related note, just weighed the 4 pounds that I ordered, and each "1 pound bag" was about 18.5 ounces :ban:

Quick question: One of the bags, while sealed, seems to have lost the suction around the hops a little. Should I just use this one first and not worry about it?

Unless you want to transfer to a new bag and vacuum seal it, I would. Why risk it? I had a .5 ounce of hops opened that spent a few days out of the fridge when I forgot to put it away. Next time I went to brew, it was starting to smell cheesy. All they need is a bit of moisture and a bit of time and they will start to spoil.

Thanks, picking up a sealing machine today (probably cheapo renolds vac)

I've got two 1/2 ounce bags of hops that have been in sandwich bags in a tupperware in the fridge for a couple months that I'm probably going to chuck (cheesy smell).

...I assume I can't just use these cheesy hops as bittering hops, because the cheese smell/taste will come through?

Thanks for the info, just pulled the trigger on 12 lbs, six for each of us.

Really tempted to stock up. Maybe a noob question, but how long will whole/pellets keep in the fridge?

Do it soon, I just went back to their site and they raised prices back up slightly.

I don't really understand the concern with the 2008 hops. If you're using hops now, they are from 2008 or before unless they're from the southern hemisphere.

*subscribed for other's price matching experiences on purchases last week. Called them and was told they'll call me back with an answer (CSR couldn't make the call).

Any word yet? I got 8lbs delivered to me last week.

Any word yet? I got 8lbs delivered to me last week.

Just heard back about 10 minutes ago. They're willing to send my second order (shipping in a day or two) for free, which saves me about $12, and is close to what a pricematch would have been, so I'm happy. They said they don't normally pricematch to future sales, but since I ordered twice, they could do this for me.

Just heard back about 10 minutes ago. They're willing to send my second order (shipping in a day or two) for free, which saves me about $12, and is close to what a pricematch would have been, so I'm happy. They said they don't normally pricematch to future sales, but since I ordered twice, they could do this for me.

Aww, well that's not too bad.. My price difference would have been $59.90 had I ordered just a few days later.. I just gave them a call, we'll see what they say when they get back to me.

Did you get a feel for how much of a lag time between order and shipping? I only ordered 24 hours ago, so I assume sometime today or tomorrow morning, but with everyone ordering, there may be a delay. I just wanted to be around when it did get delivered.

Did you get a feel for how much of a lag time between order and shipping? I only ordered 24 hours ago, so I assume sometime today or tomorrow morning, but with everyone ordering, there may be a delay. I just wanted to be around when it did get delivered.

I asked yesterday and they said they were SUPER busy, so it would be 4-6 days!

My first order shipped about 2-3 days after I ordered, and I feel like it'll be similar this time (maybe 3-4 days instead). I ordered 2 days ago and my order was supposedly being 'packed' right now. Shipping took over a week via UPS ground to NY. They'll send you a tracking number via email.

I ordered mine on Monday, got a shipping notice today. Email said they would arrive on the 16th.

I just ordered 3 pounds. 1 Willy, 1 Centennial, 1 Cascade. I couldn't pass up the good prices plus I need to hit up the Two Hearted Clone and bang out another round of my house pales.

Just got off the phone with Carla, who took my order. The nice lady is having my 14# order put together for a friend to stop by and pick it up tomorrow.

Hop-er-iffic !

Help me spend my money. I'm ordering 1 pound each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Galena, and debating between another of Centennial, Columbus, and Fuggles.

I'm in for a pund each of willamette, cascasde, hersbucker. The amarillo sure was tempting, but I have over a pound in the freezer already.

I put in mine today

1# Amarillo
1# Tettnanger
2# Czech Saaz
1# Cascade
1# Chinook

That should keep new busy..... for awhile

someone posted on another forum:

"Centennials, US Fuggles and Willamette were being brought to HopUnion this week when I was there. They were sending out a bunch of fresh Cent to breweries this week for wet hop harvest ales.

Walked through some fields yesterday and the crop looked good. I think the farm I was at (Loftus) said Cascade was next... They 're hoping Palisades catches on with craft brewers as it yields very well.

US acreage went up, but it was mostly centered around a few varieties. Expect some cheap Cascades as they think they're going to be well overstocked ...

I also found out why Willamette costs nothing right now... AB bought 95% of the crop and used to ask to keep an extra 12-18 months worth on hand in case something went wrong. After the merger with InBev, the company has been streamlining and now only want a 3-6 month carryover, so there's TONS of excess. Many farmers might not even touch them because it'd be cheaper not to harvest.

They're still not sure how much damage happened to the German crop from the hail storm but they don't expect any shortages as they also increased acreage I think they said...

Not hops, but according to Briess, this might be the best looking crop of US barley in years and even with planting down last year they expect malt overstocks. They said to expect next year maybe a 15% decrease in price, though this was to pro contracts so I don't know how it will relate to the homebrew world. Canadian planting was down 8%, lowest planted since late 60's. Some weather issues and late planting made the quality very mixed, expect higher protein and maybe uneven looking kernels. Europe looks good this year... Australia looking great with 13% increase."

I just recently sent in an inquiry into why I haven't received notification of payment for over a week. Now I have figured out why. Everyone is HOPping on this deal!!

Since I missed the sale last week. They let me replace my old order and are giving me the sales price. Nice customer service. So I bit the bullet and bought 10 lbs. Doing some damn fine homebrewing this winter. :tank:

2 lbs Amarillo pellet
2 lbs. Centennial pellet
3 lbs Cascade whole leaf
1 lb. Williamette pellet
1 lb Magnum pellet
1 lb Chinook pellet

I just recently ordered a cooler and will be trying to go all grain within a couple of weeks. I am excited about making some damn fine IPA's and IIPA's sooooon!!

Hooray for cheap hops! I've still got about 2Lbs. left from my previous order but I couldn't help ordering another 5Lbs!

Item 01: 1 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.75
Item 02: 1 each HAMAP1 Amarillo Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 11.25
Item 03: 1 each HCEP1 Centennial Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 10.75
Item 04: 1 each HCHINP1 Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75
Item 05: 1 each HMALU1 Magnum (US) Pellets: 1 lb. $ 9.75

SubTotal: $ 48.25

If shipping is ~$12 like it was the last time I ordered, that's about $.75/oz assuming they're only 16oz pounds :) That's a far cry from the $3.99 my LHBS is charging.

i could only afford 4 lbs ... i would have gotten 3 times that if i had the money... and a vacuum sealer...

Back