What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Now for a social psychology question: My engineer husband says that engineers tend to marry nurses. He says it is because nurses are sturdy and recognize the value of having an engineer hubby. There is also some thought that engineers need a special kind of TLC and understanding that can come from someone who is a caregiver.

Bedlam said:
Now for a social psychology question: My engineer husband says that engineers tend to marry nurses. He says it is because nurses are sturdy and recognize the value of having an engineer hubby. There is also some thought that engineers need a special kind of TLC and understanding that can come from someone who is a caregiver.

I'm a chemical engineer who married a chemical engineer and we both work in the paper industry (for now...hopefully). You can imagine the invigorating dinner table talks about toilet paper issues such as "break through" (and yes, that's a technical term).

Ryush806 said:
I'm a chemical engineer who married a chemical engineer and we both work in the paper industry (for now...hopefully). You can imagine the invigorating dinner table talks about toilet paper issues such as "break through" (and yes, that's a technical term).

Mudknuckle?

While I am not a licensed engineer, nor did I actually finish my engineering degree (switched to the technician side of the program pre-graduation), I work as a civil engineering technician, and have for the decade. And also being a single guy in a town lacking in social opportunities, I've tried the eHarmony thing a time or two.

I can tell you that my unofficial research on the topic, based on their "personality matching", agrees 100% with the above statement - I would be willing to bet over 50% of the matches I got on that site were nurses. Add in elementary school teachers and you'd be damn close to 80%.

I'm an engineer. My wife is an MD. If I called her a nurse I'd need an MD.

Software engineer, but a Finance degree. Been doing Web Application Security for the last 6 years and working on a masters of Cybersecurity.

Fascinating. I married a nurse and my brother, also a software engineer/architect married a nurse. I always thought engineers married nurses because they looked hot in the uniform and then there was that whole sponge bath fantasy thing.

I start a new career in a few weeks. The title is Aircraft Electrical Engineering Representative. Does that count? For the record, it doesn't. Just a fancy job title. I've worked with a few great aeronautical engineers over the years but I'm not one; not by a long shot.

Hat's off to those of you who buckled down in school and earned the right to be called engineer. For me, it's embarrassing to have a fake job title I didn't earn. Probably sounds good for the place I’ll be working at, to have so many engineers. It’s bogus and it’s just business. :mug:

I haven't read through all 101 pages. Could I be the only forester? 1.5 days remaining of the 36 year career. Should have a bit more free time for brewing.

Not traditional engineer, but I am an audio engineer. Have a tech degree in that and a BA in English (How marketable am I?) =D
My dad is a civil engineer, worked for him in his office for 6 years doing and learning CAD. Do I qualify?
In the end, I'd much rather brew beer than do any of those other things.

I believe you can be an engineer by trade and not have the "paperwork" especially in industry. SSSHHHH , dont let the PE's hear this. Just kidding.

Non engineer who went to a big engineering school. NC State.

When I found out I could take chemistry for business majors and physics for business majors for a class instead the chemistry and physic classes engineers had to take I jumped to sales. My science classes were the equivalent of AP high school classes.

I will say selling a product made by a first rate engineer is easy money.

Thanks engineers!!

MagooBrew said:
I believe you can be an engineer by trade and not have the "paperwork" especially in industry. SSSHHHH , dont let the PE's hear this. Just kidding.

*looks around for PEs* Some of the better "engineers" I've worked with don't have a PE or even a college degree of any kind.

Non-engineer (who also went to NC State) degree in Biochemistry/Microbiology (I don't use professionally) but which I sometimes remember enough of to be helpful when brewing. Neighbor who got me into brewing is an engineer (damn near a rocket scientist) and his anal-retentive nature has made for some very successful brews.

I haven't read through all 101 pages. Could I be the only forester? 1.5 days remaining of the 36 year career. Should have a bit more free time for brewing.

Wow! I just finished "The Big Burn" about the founding of the Forestry Service and was riveted. Our property backs up to a Nat'l Forest, so it yours is a career close to my heart. I lift a glass to you!

Another one for the engineer category, although only as far as school training (BS is civil and MS in engineering management). I spend my days in the contracting field with the federal government.

Non-engineer... although I do have 3 years of a ME degree completed I never finished.

Currently manage an auto service shop with about 25 employees.

May I ask an ignorant question? What is an ethnomusicologist?

Of course (and it's not ignorant)! Ethnomusicologists do a lot of things, but it's basically studying how music functions in culture. That can mean any of a million things, but many ethnomusicologists deal with live people (musicians, audiences, consumers, etc.) as opposed to historical sources, and they typically deal with music that isn't Western concert music (Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc.). There are exceptions, of course.

Hope this helps!

flars said:

Nope. Forester here posted a while back. Enjoy retirement...I got a long way to go til then.

Too funny.. I'm a Mechanical HVAC Engineer

The next question.. who are also car guys and have something in their garage (other than Beer) that they are working on.

Of course (and it's not ignorant)! Ethnomusicologists do a lot of things, but it's basically studying how music functions in culture. That can mean any of a million things, but many ethnomusicologists deal with live people (musicians, audiences, consumers, etc.) as opposed to historical sources, and they typically deal with music that isn't Western concert music (Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc.). There are exceptions, of course.

Hope this helps!

That narrows it down :) How about you?

Hope this helps!

I want to make a liberal arts joke right now...but I promised myself I wouldn't:(

Back