Pacman Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokolosh

Reaction score
So rifling through all the threads here, it seemed that Pacman yeast was pretty hard to come by.

Well, I walked into my LHBS today and they had several packets just sitting there ready to go. :drunk:

Did I miss something??? I guess I don't have to worry about trying to salvage some from a bottle now!:D

I believe Pacman is a seasonal release from their VSS private collection, so it probably won't be available all the time. I got some recently that was made in mid December and they don't show it for Jan-March so it may dry up again for a while. I plan to wash mine and reuse a few times...Love me some Dead Guy ale. You may have even bought it at the same place I got mine :)

Wyeast Laboratories : VSS : Private Collection of Brewing Yeast for making Beer

There are also a few Rogue "kits" that come with Pacman. It's not as hard to find as it used to be, but it's still not that widespread either. I think we have it a little easier living in Portland and all.

Pacman proprietary to Rogue was a limited release at one point. It has since been re-released and is available through Wyeast IIRC. The only other option at the time was to cultivate it from a bottle of Rogue, hence the scarcity of that yeast for awhile.

So rifling through all the threads here, it seemed that Pacman yeast was pretty hard to come by.

Well, I walked into my LHBS today and they had several packets just sitting there ready to go. :drunk:

Did I miss something??? I guess I don't have to worry about trying to salvage some from a bottle now!:D

From what I understand it is hit or miss when/where wyeast distributes. Almost like it's seasonal or something.

I think it is part of the fun with harvesting it from a bottle, plus you get to drink most of the bottle before you do. I wouldn't want to drink part of the smack pack:eek:

I just bombed out on my second attempt to culture from a Shakespeare Stout. The first time I got zero growth on a slant. The most recent attemp was from a bottle with a very visible creamy looking layer of yeast. I innocculated my slants and waited. Finally, on the third day, Aha something growing! It was F#cking mold! I'm going to just order some from one of the online retailers who carry it. It's not too tough to find.

I bought Pacman at a LHBS in Portland a couple times last year, then again a couple weeks ago. I've looked at the other LHBS and they stock it too. Doesn't seem like there is any shortage here or maybe I just happen to need it when they have it.

Back