Draft box project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
Built a draft box today. Total build and testing time was about 90 mins. It only has two taps now, planning on adding a third soon...going to a friend's party tomorrow night and I'm only bringing two kegs so I only need two taps right now. ;)

10040-102607001.jpg

10040-102607002.jpg

10040-102607003.jpg

orfy said:
Looks very good.

What was the cost.

Thanks. Costs as you see 'em:

Cooler: Free (donated by a neighbor who didn't want it anymore) :D
3-circuit cold plate: $85 on eBay
(2) 3" shanks: $29
(12') 3/16" beverage tubing: $7.80
(2) Ball-lock liquid QD: $11
(2) Ventimatic faucets, ($29 each on eBay): $58
(2) el-cheapo tap handles: $5

Total: $195.80 as you see it

I'm planning on grabbing a $15 chrome faucet as I have one already and borrowed the two Ventimatics from my bar to make it work for tomorrow. ;) So that'll bring the cost down to $167.80. I'm also planning on adding a third shank and faucet eventually (it's a 3-circuit cold plate afterall) so that's another $30.

I will say one thing: when you drill the cooler and it gets past the outer plastic layer and hits the insulation inside, it makes one hell of a mess. :drunk:

Adolphus79 said:
just one question, why did you take the latch off the cooler?

Actually, I did reattach it for now, but as soon as I put the 3rd shank in (middle), it'll have to come back off and be moved or be kept off all together because of its close proximity to the middle shank and faucet.

BG73395 said:
Can someone explain how it works??

The cold plate in the draft box acts as a heat exchanger. It has channels inside--in this case, 3 separate. Add some ice water to the cooler, at least enough to cover the cold plate. Room-temperature beer comes in the back, gets chilled in the cold plate, and comes out of the taps.

FireBrewer said:
The cold plate in the draft box acts as a heat exchanger. It has channels inside--in this case, 3 separate. Add some ice water to the cooler, at least enough to cover the cold plate. Room-temperature beer comes in the back, gets chilled in the cold plate, and comes out of the taps.

Wow, I didn't know anything could cool down that quick just from ice water. That plate must have something special about it.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Wow, I didn't know anything could cool down that quick just from ice water. That plate must have something special about it.
Have you ever used an IC? Same thing, look at how hot that water is coming out the first 3-4 minutes.

Ó Flannagáin said:
That plate must have something special about it.

It's basically a huge block of aluminum with channels inside. I'm not sure how much it weighs but it's pretty darn heavy for it's little size. So once it cools down it acts like a heat sink.

FSR402 said:
Then everyone is happy....

I get the first pint...gotta test it, ya know. ;) :D

Here's my humble Connecticut homemade jocky box.....

beerbox1-1.jpg

50' SS coil - $55.00
uber cool and cheap walmart Kooler with neat picture - $18.00
faucet and shank - $30.00
some tubing - $5.00
a few clamps - $2.50
Tap handle - free from favorite bartender
= approx $110.00

1 bag of ice
fill with cold water

instant cold beer. homebrew of course. :ban:

It's about 3 years old and is a hit wherever its pulled from the truck

Mitch

just for interest, when using a cold plate, it is much better at cooling if it is in contact with only ice, leave the drain open and allow the water to drain off. When using a coil it is beneficial to keep it in contact with the water.
I don't know why but it works best
Nice rig

Latest posts

Back