Pump splash guard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I have a bunch of scrap aluminum and sometimes stainless in our sheet metal shop at work, tons of tooling, and occasional time to waste. I need to build a splash guard for my chigger pump. I'm not sure how much space I should have around the motor to allow cooling air to flow through freely. Last time I brewed I noticed the motor gets quite warm without any housing around the vents. Any ideas?

In all seriousness, I think if you went the width of the base plate you should be fine.

adamreef said:
Why are you pumping chiggers?

Yeah...I was beat tired from work. Maybe I should've waited to post my question. "Chugger pump." I just heard back from them actually. It turns out their pumps are splash proof to begin with, and the splash guards can cause the to overheat and trip the thermal fuse. so I guess I don't need the guard.

kickflip_mj said:
You just saved me a lot of time fabricating! thanks for that answer

Same here... I guess I can always make a really nice sheet metal platform for it...

Good to know they are water resistant. I didn't know that when I made this one. Just a cheap 99 cent piece of sheet metal I got at home depot. I did overheat the pump once but think that was more operator error. Might just remove it.. but it looks kinda cool.

splash-guard-front-59921.jpg

splash-guard-rear-59920.jpg

http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/6/4/2/0/2/splash-guard-side-59922.jpg

Back