Coke 20 lb CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuxnerd

Reaction score
So yesterday on craigslist I found a guy selling full 20lb CO2 tanks for $50 and an extra 25 for a regulator, with that price I couldn't help but going out there and picking one up :ban:, I didn't pay much attention to the bottle until I got home to clean the thing up (it'd been sitting around for a while and was dirty as all else).

When I cleaned it up I noticed its got a Coke sticker on it and is the classic red and silver coca-cola paint job, which had previously been covered in grime and I hadn't noticed.

Now I know some people here have a big ethical problem with this kind of thing, but I am just really worried about whether or not I can get this thing filled or if my best bet is to just turn it in for the deposit (and if they'd accept it and where to do that)

Also the guy still has a couple other full tanks for $50 and 2 empties for cheaper if anyone wants them in the el paso area, PM me.

Thanks for the tips guys

get a razor scraper and some goo gone, take off the sticker. spray paint the tank a lovely pink. no one will suspect a thing.

buy at least one extra full tank, it could take you years to go through a full 20 pound tank - then you have a spare.

Your probably going to need to use some JB or Bondo to erase all coke markings from it because I'm sure it's stamped somewhere. The good news is that lots of places that do exchanges will take your Coke tank even if it's full of coke stickers and is painted red.

Do you know if restaurants buy these tanks from Coke or Pepsi? Or if they just rent them? I ask because we were doing a training at a restaurant that was being torn down the next day and the contractor said everything that was left would go to the dump after being torn down so we should take anything we wanted that was left. I got two 20 pound CO2 tanks and a Wunderbar dispenser. I do not want these things if they are still property of these places.

tuxnerd said:
So yesterday on craigslist I found a guy selling full 20lb CO2 tanks for $50 and an extra 25 for a regulator, with that price I couldn't help but going out there and picking one up :ban:, I didn't pay much attention to the bottle until I got home to clean the thing up (it'd been sitting around for a while and was dirty as all else).

When I cleaned it up I noticed its got a Coke sticker on it and is the classic red and silver coca-cola paint job, which had previously been covered in grime and I hadn't noticed.

Now I know some people here have a big ethical problem with this kind of thing, but I am just really worried about whether or not I can get this thing filled or if my best bet is to just turn it in for the deposit (and if they'd accept it and where to do that)

Also the guy still has a couple other full tanks for $50 and 2 empties for cheaper if anyone wants them in the el paso area, PM me.

Thanks for the tips guys

If it is old, it will need to be hydro tested. Some places will just swap them out with you. I don't think anyone is going to come after you. It's kind of like jaywalking. I would personally keep the tank for nostalgia. Dont paint it.

They hydro date is good for another year, but yeah it is stamped with CCBC, after some googling and searching the forums I saw that its for coca cola bottling company. Go figure, I've got a 5lb tank that works great, I am just make another kegerator.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think of trying to JB weld the thing and stuff like that, I'll have to find a place here in El Paso who will fill 20lb tanks eventually, the paintball shop I have been using for my little 5lb won't do larger than 5lbs. There are a few welding shops near by where I will have to try to either exchange or get it filled

I doubt you'll have any trouble.. Just swap it out when it needs filled. Most places have these tanks in their rotation.

I have some corny kegs that have Coca Cola stamped on them. Does that mean they belong to Coca Cola? I think not. Just because someone puts their name on something doesn't mean they own it forever.

Both of my 20# tanks I own were originally owned by Coke. I've had them hydro and filled with no problems. I'm not even sure Coke "lends" tanks anymore. Mine were pretty old when I got them. No worries.

Both of my 20# tanks I own were originally owned by Coke. I've had them hydro and filled with no problems. I'm not even sure Coke "lends" tanks anymore. Mine were pretty old when I got them. No worries.

They don't.. Thats the reason you see so them in the rotation at some places. Most accounts don't use the small tanks anymore, they use the bulk outdoor tanks.

They hydro date is good for another year, but yeah it is stamped with CCBC, after some googling and searching the forums I saw that its for coca cola bottling company. Go figure, I've got a 5lb tank that works great, I am just make another kegerator.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think of trying to JB weld the thing and stuff like that, I'll have to find a place here in El Paso who will fill 20lb tanks eventually, the paintball shop I have been using for my little 5lb won't do larger than 5lbs. There are a few welding shops near by where I will have to try to either exchange or get it filled

There should be a Matheson or AirGas in El Paso.

CO2/Welding shops tend to be less than caring about what the bottles say on them so long as they are servicable. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the shop just repaints those themselves to put them back in service.

I still laugh at my Corny Kegs that all have stickers that say "if you go this from someone other than Pepsi ITS STOLEN." I bought them from MoreBeer.

Don't buy Co2 tanks with Pepsi or Coke on the side. They are useless. Homebrew shops and places like Matheson and Air gas will refuse to exchange or fill them. You can return them to coke/pepsi but you won't get anything in exchange. Pepsi/coke have co2 tank exchange programs but it's only for businesses on account. If you see one on craigslist, don't bother with it.

Actually I took a coke one I got from Craigslist and took it to my local Praxair, they swapped it for a Pepsi one..... I have heard some places throw a fit about where the tank came from, but not all of them do. If you are really worried a little elbow grease and laquer thinner will get the stickers and paint off.

Back