Bottle bomb post pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of 5 day cider way back in January, and bottled it at 1.036 so it still had a fair bit of yeast in suspension. Like every other batch of 5 day I've done I bottled it, and did a bottle in a 12oz pepsi bottle to gauge the carb level.

Once the pepsi bottle was firm and had good carbonation to it, I stove top pasteurized as I always do according to the sticky here. All was well until last night.

I was working in my kitchen last night when I heard a loud bang. Wandered the house without finding anything amiss and kinda forgot about it. This morning my wife complained that the pantry smelled funky, but I'm dry hopping an IPA in it so I didn't really think much of it. When I opened the pantry this morning, I smelled funky cider, and looking on the shelf saw 1 bottle missing in the six pack of cider I had in there. Sure enough one of the bottles had exploded.

All the other bottles are fine, including the swing tops in my garage, so the only thig I can think of is this bottle had a microscopic structural weakness that eventually caused the bottle bomb.

Anyone else had something like this happen?

Back