rust rust and more rust FML

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrStrangeBrew

Reaction score
so i finally finished cleaning up all the slag that was all over the inside of my keggle from being cut with plasma cutter. i spent a few days cleaning and grinding and scrubbing wit BKF and letting it sit on it over night to treat the steel. now that i finished that apparently the keggle wasnt done with me yet. now im getting rust around where the cut was. ive scrubbed it a few times with BKF and grinded it down with sanding discs. and let the BKf sit on it over nite and im still getting rust. do i need to cut it off? keep grinding? shoot myself in the head? help meeeeeeeeeee

2011-04-23_08-24-01_640.jpg

2011-04-23_08-23-53_554.jpg

2011-04-23_08-23-46_191.jpg

Did you use a new cutting wheel and grinding wheel/disk on this? If you used one that you had grinded regular steel with you may have transfered that steel onto/into the stainless which is now rusting on you. I would switch out to a new sanding wheel to start. Not sure how to get rid of whats rusting now though.

Did you use a new cutting wheel and grinding wheel/disk on this? If you used one that you had grinded regular steel with you may have transfered that steel onto/into the stainless which is now rusting on you. I would switch out to a new sanding wheel to start. Not sure how to get rid of whats rusting now though.

yeah i used new ones. well even if steel is embedded shouldnt i be able togrind it out? maybe it was heat from plasma cutter?

Scrub it with scotch brite and wipe it with clean water. I mean the abrasive type(3M brand), not the kitchen scotch brite pads.
You'll get rid of it. Just may take a few scrubbings.

Yep, just keep scrubbing it like dmfa said. I had some spots on mine when they were new, and after a few brew/cleaning routines with a scrubby they haven't come back. If you need them gone now you could get some acid #5 (I think) from five-star and soak with that. I'm pretty sure that's the acid cleaner that re-passivates.

Yep, It's just on the surface... keep going and you'll get rid of it.

ok cool thats what i figured. i didnt want to have to cut it off but in a previous thread i had everyone was freakin me out about rust. ill keep working at it.

i have these that attach to my pneumatic die grinder. would this be something that i could use on inside? will i need something more coarse? i have green ones that are basically sandpaper not sure what grit. 3M makes them called Roloc discs.

2011-04-20_12-53-28_683.jpg

Hit em with these again... then BKF

Latest posts

Back