Apartment AG brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
I know there are some folks out there who want to venture into all-grain brewing, but don't think they have the space. The fact is, that's false, and I've put some pictures together to show my homebrewing setup. The pictures below are from my Bridgeport ESB Clone v1.0 brew on 12/10/06.

The first picture below (Figure #1) is of my setup. Here's how I use it:

On the counter across from the stove:
1) My cooler mash tun. Mine's a rectangular cooler, and I've fitted it with AHS's bulkhead, brass ball valve, and nipples on both ends. I have a stainless braid crimped to the inner nipple (taken from a toilet inlet pipe I bought at Home Depot for ~$6.... they sell some other type that looks like stainless but is actually plastic-coated something. Make sure you buy the stainless.) Notice that I have wrapped a blanket over the cooler, to help reduce heat loss. I wrap it tightly and use clothespins to make sure it stays tight.

On the stove:
1) 30qt boiling kettle. I use this to bring 1.25 qt/lb to about 20F higher than my target mash temp (generally to 174F to mash in at 154F). Once I mash in, I get my sparge water up to about 195F to sparge at 175F. This is where my collected wort goes too, obviously.
2) A smaller, ~8qt pot... I think it came with a strainer for pasta or crab or something. I don't remember, but it's a good vessel to heat about 6qts of water to near boiling, so I can make temperature adjustments if my mash loses too much heat, etc. Whatever's left, I dump in the mash for mashing out.

Not shown: my bottling bucket. When I'm ready to take my first runnings, I empty the sparge water from my kettle into the bottling bucket, so that the kettle is ready to take the wort. With batch sparging, you don't have to worry about running off slowly, so I can open the valve full blast and get all the first runnings out in about 5 minutes generally. The water loses a few degrees in the bucket, but if you hold it at 195F until you have to empty it into the bucket, it's fine.

Technique:
1) Start heating strike water to 174F. 1.25 qt/lb of grain. Start heating 6 qt of water in the smaller pot to 174F also. Tip: Put the lids on the pots to help get it heated faster. Add any water treatments / salts at this time (for me it's lactic acid to neutralize a lot of my excess CO3 alkalinity). I do not use any water treatment in the small pot at any time.

2) When the smaller pot hits 174F, make sure the ball valve on the cooler is closed and empty it into the cooler to heat it. Leave it, covered with the blanket, until you're ready to mash in. Fill the pot back up with another 6 qts and bring it up to a boil.

3) Once your strike water hits 174F, drain the water in the cooler, add your strike water, and add your grains to your water (not the water to the grains). Stir well ensuring that you don't have any dough balls. Be sure you stir the bottom of the cooler as well as the top. Take a temperature reading and add hot/cold water to get your temp right. Stir well to ensure your temp change affects the entire mash and not just where you added the water. Cover, and set your timer for 30 minutes.

4) Start heating sparge water... you won't lose as much water to the grains in the sparge as you will with the mash. My system says that .9qt/lb is right... but your system may show different mileage. The goal is to run off equal amounts of wort from the first runnings and the sparge runnings.Add any water treatments at this time. When your sparge water hits 195F, maintain that temperature. (My stove gets 4 gal of cold tap water to 195F in 45-50 minutes).

5) When your 30 minute timer goes off, check the temperature of your mash and add hot water from the small pot if necessary to bring your mash back to the right temp. I like to stir here as well, just to loosen some sugars. I get better efficiency when stirring at the 30 minute mark than when I don't, for what that's worth. Set your timer for another 30 minutes.

6) When the timer goes off again, take a small sample (I open the valve and take a tiny bit of wort into a small saucepan) and check the pH. I use pH 4-6 papers from AHS. Quickly dip the corner of the paper into the wort and let air dry. If it falls in an area less than 5.5, you can run off. My mashes typically take ~80-90 minutes, and a longer mash isn't going to hurt anything. Darker beers, like stouts and porters, will generally take less because the darker malts contribute more acidity than lighter malts. If necessary, set your timer for another 20 minutes.

7) When your mash is complete, empty the remaining water from the small pot into the mash and stir in well. Cover it back up for 5-10 minutes. Your mash-out should be in the 168-170 range, even from boiling water. Stir once your sparge time is complete. Picture #2 below is after mashout

8) Run off time: Empty your sparge water into your bottling bucket. Be Careful!!! This S#!t is F#$*!@g hot!!!!

9) Run off some wort into a small saucepan... it'll have some grain particles in it. Empty these runnings gently back onto the top of the grainbed. Repeat until wort runs clean. Once you have clean wort, open the valve full-blast and empty into your kettle. Put a lid on it and place it back on the stove. Empty the sparge water from the bottling bucket into the cooler and stir well. Your temp should be 175F or below. If it's too hot, add some cold water. You don't want to start extracting tannins from grains. Remember, everyone's system is different, including temps and times!!! Let the sparge water go for 15 minutes. Figure #3 below is my sparged grains

10) Run off as before... into a small saucepan until you have clean runnings. Empty these right on top of the wort you collected about 15 minutes ago. Figure #4 shows what 6.5 gallons of wort should look like.

11) Brew as normal. I bring my beers up to a boil with the lid mostly on, keeping a very close eye on it once it gets over ~190F. Once my thermometer reaches ~205F, I will remove the lid every minute or so to let it settle down some, and put it back on the pot. If you don't cover it, it'll never get to a boil on the stove.

Any questions... please feel more than free to ask!

mash setup.jpg

after mashout.jpg

sparged.jpg

wort.jpg

I like your post. I have not made beer yet. When I do I will do it in the kitchen. Looks like I have about as mutch room as you do.

Looks like you have an electric stove. the issue I have with brewing in doors is that it takes a long time to bring 7.5 gals to a boil for a full boil on my gas stove. With an electric stove I would think that it would take longer. How long does it take you and how many boil overs have you experienced inside?

- WW

Thanks for putting this up, hopefully it'll help convince some of the other apartment dwellers that all-grain beer is within their reach. FWIW, I brew all grain in a 1-bedroom apartment on an electric stove with a nearly identical setup. I switched from extract to all-grain about 1 year ago, and I don't see myself ever going back. It's way too much fun playing around with the different grains, mash temps, etc... :ban:

wilsonwj said it. After using a couple of $40 propane turkey fryers on my last 5 or so batches, there's no way in hell I could even think about going back to my stupid old electric range. Took nearly an hour to get from mash temps up to a rolling boil...and this was a new stove! It's bad enough when you're extract brewing, and just doing up 3-gallon boils, but with a full 5.5 gallons, what a PITA.

Does your apartment have a deck or balcony?

To answer a couple questions:

- It is an electric stove. One of the burners is a 10" burner, so that helps. I bring it to a boil with the lid on, and remove the lid once boiling. It won't get there without the lid, but it will maintain itself once it boils. I'd say from 160F wort to boiling is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40 minutes. I have my notes at home with times if you want precise I can do that when I get home from work tonight... but this sounds about right.

- I have had zero boil-overs. I watch it like a hawk once my thermometer gets to about 204 (I have one of those kind with the probe hooked up to a digital readout). I also leave the lid slightly cocked off the pot to let some steam escape. I've had to use a spray bottle one time, but otherwise my system is pretty boil-over proof. You do want to watch it pretty good when you add your boiling hops though.

- I do not have a place where I could use an outdoor burner. My wife and I are buying a house this spring so I will be using a burner then... but I just wanted to show that literally anyone can do all-grain.

I think I have one more brew session before the end of the month... I'll get more pictures of my rig and post them to my gallery.

Good for you, texasgeorge...I dunno if I would have the wherewithal to try AG in such confined spaces. Cool.

Why is your system "boil-over-proof"? I use a spray bottle w/ starsan solution whenever I boil. What's your secret? Just the fact that the stove isn't that powerful?

I'm quite envious. My apartment stove (not even a full size, one of those 'condo' models) can't even give me a full boil with 12L of water. My partial mashes are limited to 2KG of grain otherwise after sparging I have too much liquid for my stove.

I just bought a boxing week sale turkey fryer from my local Canadian Tire and I can't wait to do my first all grain (I'm fortunate enough to live on the first floor, local fire codes prohibit bbq's or any kind of burner on balconies).

Evan! said:
Why is your system "boil-over-proof"? Just the fact that the stove isn't that powerful?

Spot-on, my friend.

Imagine a donut. The outer ring of the donut is the outer rim of my pot. The donut hole is the "boil area" directly above where the burner touches my kettle. The boil will roll pretty well in that "boil area" but not much outside of that. You'll see the hop pellet sludge push to the outer part of the wort by the boil, get pulled under, and then pop back up in the middle. I've got about a 2 inch ring all the way around where the boil doesn't roll.

It may not be ideal, but it works, and makes good beer. :tank:

When I was brewing in my house I had one boil over. Shook me up so bad I want and got a turkey fryer and never looked back. 6 Gallons of boiling sticky wort flying everywhere and my little boy watching me. If had gotten on him OH BOY! It leaked into the oven door took for ever to clean up. Talk about hurting if it got on you OUCH!! Anyway turkey fryer saves me hours on brew days.

I also want to thank you for posting this thread. Apartment AG'ers are few and far, but we are out there. I have no desire to haul my gear up and down from the second floor. I have done AG very sucessfully using a similar technique, however I don't boil soo much (per pot anyways). I use two pots and the technique I use can be found here:
http://www3.telus.net/sockmonkeysandbeer/beer/HowIBrew/howIbrew.html

I also want to thank you for posting this thread. Apartment AG'ers are few and far, but we are out there.
Yea, this is great. I've been brewing for 15 years and when I moved into this 490 sf condo 8 years ago, I gave up my all grain equipment because I have no deck and figured I couldn't do all grain in this space. You have now inspired me once more. I built a new mash tun last weekend and hope to soon be venturing back into all grain brewing. I have been very happy with the PM brews that I have been able to produce the last several years but I'm excited about being able to get back into the full process.

I am new in an apartment and wanting to make the changeover to AG. Was thinking I would be limited to 3 gallon batches because of space/equipment. Nice to know that is not the case.

AG, tiny apt. kitchen brewer here too.

I don't have counter space to fit my cooler on so I balance it between two chairs.
I use two kettles to bring 7 gallons of wort to a boil.
I put hops in only one kettle.
I no chill because using my chiller with two kettles makes a mess and is a pain in my ass.

I'm not just an apartment brewer, I'm a New York City apartment brewer!

And you haven't seen small until you have seen my brewing space. The only bright spot is that I'm on the top floor so I can store pots and coolers and stuff like that on the landing when I'm not actively brewing.

Even so, space is tight. I thought I'd have to do nothing but extract, but I've found ways to work around the space.

1. Get a 10 gallon pot! Sounds weird right? Well a 10 gallon pot will straddle two burners which will reduce the time it takes to boil. Even so, it can be difficult on a cheap electric stove to get 7-8 gallons to boiling, so that leads to...

2. Insulation! Buy some of that reflectix insulation and wrap your boil kettle and line the top of the lid with it. Most of my boiling problems went away once I insulated my pot. It still takes quite a while to get up to boiling, but I shaved a good 20 minutes off with this stuff.

3. Make a heat stick. You don't need a huge powerful 240V heat stick, a 2000 Watt one run at 120V and put into the pot, combined with the burners will eliminate even the need for insulation. Dumping just a few extra watts of heat into your wort will make all the difference.

4. The number one thing that contributed to a noticeable increase in the quality of my beer was a simple swamp cooler and ice bottles of various sizes. As an apartment brewer I don't have the luxury of a second refrigerator or freezer in which to control the temp. Yes, I could remove the food from my fridge, but then I'd starve and my GF would leave me. I only have one closet, and its filled with actual clothes! and while I do have an air conditioner, my apartment is so small that I would freeze to death long before the beer cooled down far enough, not to mention the electricity bill would probably bankrupt me.

I'd love to brew lagers, but there are thousands of different ales to brew and experiment with that I can brew excellently with nothing but my swamp cooler. I made good beers without it. But during the height of fermentation the beer could easily hit 78 degrees even in my 68 degree apartment. With my cooler I can ensure the beer stays within my target zone and I don't need any other equipment than my already mostly empty freezer and a tupperware tub.

I brew AG. And I brew batches up to 6 gallons. My apartment is less than 600 square feet! You can do it.

NYCHomebrewer

Well said NYCHomebrewer. Double burner boiling is a must on a smaller stove. I usually do PM (I don't have space to store a cooler MLT and the wife would not be a fan of leaving a 10 gallon cooler out in the apartment), but have tackled AG using BIAB and it is easily doable in an apartment. I use the oven to hold my mash temp. Chill in an icebath in my sink, and store my small equipment and assorted brew stuff in my bottling bucket. A BetterBottle in a cardboard box enclosure hides out in the corner of the apartment. I'm going to have to test out the swampcooler idea because my fermentation definitely tends to run on the hot side.

If you can brew in an NYC apartment, you can brew anywhere. Just takes some creativity and ambition.

Although it is cool to see this ancient thread bumped up ,you new folks might be interested in some of the more recent discussions we've been having on here;

This one went one for quite awhile; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/apartment-brewing-possible-138658/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/anyone-else-brewing-out-apartment-my-story-115106/

There's some good resources in those.

And this, This was recently featured in BYO magazine...From one of our own members here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/countertop-brutus-20-a-131411/

If you can brew in an NYC apartment, you can brew anywhere. Just takes some creativity and ambition.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a dodgeball!

Just sprung to mind when I saw what you said.

Definitely try a swamp cooler. Your fermentation temps will be 8-10 degrees above room temp without it, which at my apartment means 75-80 degrees. At those temps you will get some funky tastes, which is why I brewed a lot of belgian beers for a long time. At 70 degrees room temp, a single 2L bottle of ice at night, and a replacement in the morning will maintain a fermentation temp of 66 degrees.

At my apartment. Your conditions will vary. But overnight I experienced beers that were an order of magnitude better, taste wise. I expect you will find much the same.

NYCHomebrewer

+1 on apartment all-grain brewing! I just did my first batch last weekend following the link on HBT from I think, deathbrewer. I did add 1/2# of extract, so I guess it was really a giant partial-mash. I'm almost fermented out, so I'll know how things turn out in a few weeks. I do have a gas stove which I think helps greatly. My large boil pot is 36-liters and my small mash-tun is 18-liters.

You can see all the details on my blog.

Back