Steeping Grain Bag Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hethen57

Reaction score
After you steep the grain bag, is it acceptable to squeeze out some of the malt extract from the bag into your wort, or is that a no-no? The recipes basically say remove the bag, but it is so saturated, I hate to waste all that flavor...

I did this on my first batch, but my brew is still conditioning, so I don't know what effect it had.

you get tannins when you squeeze the bag

This is debatable. Some folks say you will get tannins, some say you won't.

I used to squeeze it when I brewed extract w/ grain and never noticed any issues, but then I heard the tanning "warning" and stopped. I really didn't notice any difference.

Thanks for the quick replies....what do the tannins do...make it bitter? It was so syrupy, I hated to waste it...oh well, it's a rookie mistake, but hopefully it is still drinkable...otherwise, the batch looks great and I'm anxious to drink some so I can justify jumping into the whole kegging thing next...haha

tannins are the dry "puckering" flavor that is present in many red wines or in tea. some folks classify it as bitter, but it just feels dry to me.

Folks that know a lot more than me say don't squeeze - risk of releasing tannins. The prescribed method is to rinse ("sparge") the grains with a couple cups of clear water. The water should be heated to the same temp you steeped the grains(microwave/small glass pitcher works great.)

That said, I suspect the beer style and your steeping temp comes into play as well. I brew IPAs so a bit of tannin might "hide" behind the hops. A more delicate beer and I think you'll notice tannins more quickly. I also suspect if you steep at the lower end of the temp range there's less risk of "squeezing" tannin from the grain husks. If you steep at higher temps you may already be coaxing the tannins out.

I wouldn't worry too much, let the batch finish out and see if you detect tannin when you make your tasting notes. What style did you brew?

:)Whoa! You guys are quick! In the time I typed - 3 guys weighed in, another question, another answer. . .maybe I'll just stick to sipping my IPA & reading!

Cheers

What are tannins? - think of a cup of tea that's had the tea bag left in waaay too long. That bitter tea taste is tannin for me.

I'm starting out with a MoreBeer Extract Kit IPA....In looking at clone recipes, it looks real similar to a Manny's or similar IPA, but it was a darker amber than I expected upon bottling...may have to do with squeezing the bag :cross:. I also dry hopped it, to get more hoppy aroma, so we'll see how it turns out...the difficult part is waiting a few more weeks to drink. I think I will get another batch in the pipeline....

"Cold Sparging" is better than nothing IMHO, so if you want to you could just run some "colder" water over the grains. Or even just dunk the bag a few times in to another container/pot with water in it, then add that to your brewpot.

Thanks for the quick replies....what do the tannins do...make it bitter? It was so syrupy, I hated to waste it...oh well, it's a rookie mistake, but hopefully it is still drinkable...otherwise, the batch looks great and I'm anxious to drink some so I can justify jumping into the whole kegging thing next...haha

I hate to change subjects, but what do you mean it was so syrupy? It should be just like tea, not syrupy at all. It's just water and some grain, after all. Or did you put something else, like extract, in with the grains?

I'm starting out with a MoreBeer Extract Kit IPA....In looking at clone recipes, it looks real similar to a Manny's or similar IPA, but it was a darker amber than I expected upon bottling...may have to do with squeezing the bag :cross:. I also dry hopped it, to get more hoppy aroma, so we'll see how it turns out...the difficult part is waiting a few more weeks to drink. I think I will get another batch in the pipeline....

The darker color is an unfortunate side effect of using extract and has noting to do with squeezing your bag. It's hard to control your color with extract, especially the liquid stuff. With all grain, you can get REALLY light colored beer pretty easily, but you can achieve ligher colors with extract if you always use the lightest extract you can get, dry if possible, and add most of it at the end of the boil rather than the beginning.

:)Whoa! You guys are quick! In the time I typed - 3 guys weighed in, another question, another answer. . .maybe I'll just stick to sipping my IPA & reading!

Cheers

I have learned in a short amount of time that HBT is full of good information and people that are quick to help. One hint: use the search engine. I have found tons of good stuff doing searches.

I know one thing. When I get more experienced, I am definitely going to give back and throw in my .02 whenever I can.

I used a grain bag on my first brew and thought it was a pain in the #ss. Now I steep the grains without a bag in a pot then pour it through a fine strainer into the brew pot. Then rinse with 170 degree water. I have 6 brews under my belt. I haven't noticed any negative tastes, yet.

I used a grain bag on my first brew and thought it was a pain in the #ss. Now I steep the grains without a bag in a pot then pour it through a fine strainer into the brew pot. Then rinse with 170 degree water. I have 6 brews under my belt. I haven't noticed any negative tastes, yet.

So technically that other (steeping) pot is your Mash Tun. ;)

Back