Rate my crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar15junkie

Reaction score
Hello, This weekend I am going to attempt my very first brew. Before I go and crush all of this grain I thought I would check and make sure this looks okay.

crush.gif

From what ive read about milling the grains should be cracked but the husks should still be full shells. Basically the shells contain all of the off-flavors that you do not want in your brew. If you don't grind the shells to a powder I think you will be fine. Also, don't squeeze the grains to get the last bit of flavor out of them, sparge or just let it drain out naturally.

Yours looks very good

Thanks for the quick replies!

Now that I'm sliding it around in the bowl I am noticing many different degrees of crush. From the larger particles you see here on top (with the husks) to a powder. Is this normal or okay?

I am using a corona grinder BTW

Yeah, that's normal. You're always gonna have a little bit of flour. I think you could even go a touch finer, but I would definitely brew with that.

Actually, if you're brewing all grain, you WANT a good range of particle sizes (big chunks to flour) for good efficiency. You have a really good crush there.

From the larger particles you see here on top (with the husks) to a powder. Is this normal or okay?

I am using a corona grinder BTW

Thats pretty normal with a corona. On mine, the augur isn't exactly straight at the end, so the plate sits slightly off angle. I get an uneven crush because of it.

Now, I tighten it down quite a bit, so my crush is pretty fine, but its still uneven.

Back