Recommended odds & ends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
If you see my other thread, I am placing an order with AHS Monday. What are some odds & ends that you seasoned brewers purchase that a two and a half month wannabe would not think about? Like Irish Moss. I made six batches so far, and never used it. I am going to order it this time and see the difference it makes.
What else? Some good things to have on hand?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Some things I've collected over the years that you'll eventually probably need...

Irish Moss (as stated)
Yeast Nutrient
Yeast Energizer (I've been told this is for wines, but I've used it in beer with good success)
Potasium Metabisulfate (campden)
Big bottle of sanitizer obviously.
Maybe pick up a few packs of US-05 yeast. Just incase you need it sometime.

I've got other things like pH strips and water salts laying around, but you don't need that sort of stuff unless you get into all-grain.

Yeast Nutrient
Whirlfloc (instead of Irish Moss)
Five Star 5.2 pH Stabilizer for making better light colored brews!
AHS Memberships - well worth it

I have heard Irish moss has much decreased effectiveness in extract brews. My LHBS throws it in with some brewsaltz with every recipe I get though, so I continue to use it.

"extras" I like to keep around include priming sugar, extra hydrometer (since they have a tendency to break at the worst possible times) and mesh bags for steeping specialty grains (I use them for hops as well).

I have heard Irish moss has much decreased effectiveness in extract brews. My LHBS throws it in with some brewsaltz with every recipe I get though, so I continue to use it.

I read your post and guessed Tempe without even looking :D

I only shopped their once and they did that...

Back