Attention DIYers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Make sure to cut AWAY from you when using a large folding knife, so you don't have to spend 2 hours at the urgent care center like I did today. Good news is that I don't need stitches (apparently wasn't quite deep enough to warrant them), bad news is I'm out my $15 copay and 2 hours of brewing time.
Oh well.

I made the very same mistake, cutting a hole in a 3.5" disk (to make it double-sided!) 20 years ago. Closed on my index finger, cut almost to the bone, arterial bleeding, etc. etc.

I ended up getting it to close on its own and didn't go to the ER (no insurance at the time)...still have a 3/4 inch scar but otherwise unscathed. But it taught me a lesson I'll always remember. Just earlier today I was using a folding pocketknife, and you can bet I didn't have my finger in the danger zone the whole time.

It didn't exactly fold on me, as it has a locking mechanism once it's open (thumb flipper knife thingy). So the knife (and my hand) flew past the plastic at about 30 mph and sliced into my left index finger. I then gently closed it and got a rag for the blood (carefully not to bleed into my half-cracked grain bucket).

Pretty sure I'm naming the beer I was cracking grains for "Socia's Bloody Blonde Ale"

Sounds like how I hurt my index finger about 6 years back. I was cutting towards me - next thing I know I'm asking my wife if she thinks we should go to the doctor (didn't hurt much). No insurance didn't help. Good thing the ER doc was an orthopedic surgeon.

13 stitches on the tendon ('twas hanging by a thread), 10 on the skin later I have about 90% use of my finger. Hurts like a ***** when it's really cold though...

Didn't get the badge in boy scouts did ya?

Glad to hear it wasn't too deep to warrant stitches. It's still gonna leave a nasty scar tho'.

A little off-topic but a few years ago I figured out to make sure I know when my hands are going when I break a tough nut loose when working on a car. I braced my feet to pull when changing my brakes and when it finally came loose I smashed my hand and almost blacked out. Fun times.

Ouch that hurts! I know the feeling. I still have a nice scar on my index finger from a pocket knife incident when I was about 10 years old. Went back into our woods to carve my love for a crush into a tree. Right after I started carving her name, the knife folded up on me and cut me to the bone. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. It was quite hard explaining to the parents how it happened. I blamed it on "razor grass" in the marsh. The seemed to buy it, but looking back, they probably didn't.

dude i learned that when i was 8 and got my whittlin' chip in scouts.... ;)

glad you are not seriously wounded.

Make sure to cut AWAY from you when using a large folding knife, so you don't have to spend 2 hours at the urgent care center like I did today. Good news is that I don't need stitches (apparently wasn't quite deep enough to warrant them), bad news is I'm out my $15 copay and 2 hours of brewing time.
Oh well.

Yea - had that happen when I was cutting hops down. I DID require stitches. BTW - I WAS cutting away from me but the position of my arm in relation to what I was cutting is what did it.

I had all kinds of safety training when I worked for an auto parts manufacturer. You would think that I would not be using a single edged razor blade the wrong way when making a model birch bark canoe for my daughter. You'd think.

That has been drilled into my head since I was a kid.I I missused a knife my dad would say "Hey *******....your cutting that like a women cuts fruit!!"

Yeah, i am a flooring-installer by trade, and the first thing i always teach my new guys (like i was taught) is to never cut towards your fingers etc.. You don't want to cut yourself, but someone else :)

Hope your cut will be okay though.. Get well.

I never go to the dr. if i do have something, take care of it myself.. seems like the main thing for me is to let the wound "air-dry" as much as possible. But then again, haven't had nothing real serious in a long time.

Back