Very Berry Belgian Wheat....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDrunkChef

Reaction score
Thinking of making a wheat beer next month and want to add fruit to the secondary. Here is the recipe I just thought up, what do you think???

3 lbs. Wheat DME
2 lbs. American 2-Row
3 lbs. Flaked Wheat
1 lbs. White Wheat
Safbrew S-33 dry Belgian yeast
1 oz Vanguard @ 45
roughly 4 lbs Frozen mixed berries in the secondary (thawed out of course)

berries would include 1 lbs. packages of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and cherries

I'm actually brewing a Peach Wheat tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

I'm using Vanguard as well. Here's the thing, take this for what its worth but your IBUs are MUCH higher than almost any fruit beer or Belgian Wit style I've seen.

I have found that hops clash with fruit when the IBUs get above 15 or 18 tops. I usually shoot for 12-14.

ok thats good to know, I will definately step that down a bit. More like an ounce you think? and what do you think of the 3 lbs of flaked wheat, too much or right on?

everything else looks good. I like the recipe and I like berries. And I think 1 ounce is the perfect amount. (My Vanguard is 4.4%) The Belgian yeast should add some additional fruitiness so 16-18 IBU is appropriate.

After a discussion with my neighbor the idea of adding a package of champagne yeast to the secondary with the fruit came up. Anyone have any thoughts on this? the idea is that the champagne yeast might be able to help ferment the fruit's sugars more effectively.

ps, I am the aforementioned neighbor with amazing ideas (everyone should have another homebrewer next door):mug:. The idea of adding fruit in the secondary then pitching champagne yeast is something I've heard, but never done. I am curious about this for the day I inevitably decide to do a fruit beer. If you have done this, weigh in!!:rockin:

The yeast you used for primary fermentation should have no problem digesting the simple sugars from the fruit, and the champagne yeast would probably dry the beer out more than you would like. IMO you don't need the champagne yeast.

I wouldn't bother with the champagne yeast; your ale yeast will do just fine. Adding champagne yeast will give it a drier, more wine or cidery flavor. If that's what you are looking for, go for it. But if you want it to stay truer to the Belgian Wheat style/flavor, I wouldn't bother.

+3 on the champagne yeast. One thing you want, especially with acidic (tart) berries is some residual sugar to balance that tartness. Champagne yeast will consume all of it.

On the contrary you might consider adding some unfermentable sugar to bump up the residual sweetness. A touch of lactose or maltodextrin might be in order.

Back