Storing hops, DME and Irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tiny bit (.5 ounce) of two kinds of hops left after I opened the packages. I thought I'd use a twistie tie and a ziploc bag and put them in the freezer. What about Irish Moss? I used only 1 tsp and have almost the whole package left. Also, in my next batch I'm going to prime with DME. I bought a pound, so I'll have lots left. Where is a good place to store the DME, and should it be in a ziploc, too? I know it gets very sticky when it gets damp!

Thanks,
Lorena

Personally I wouldn't save the hops. I assume they are pellets and more than likely won't taste fresh by the time you use them..
As for the Irish moss and DME just store in a dry cool area. I would put the DME in a zip lock bag just to keep as you said the moisture out.

If you put the hops in the freezer they'll be fine. You never know when you'll need a half-oz of something.

As for the irish moss, I keep mine above the stove in the spice cabinet.

As for the DME, I put mine in tupperware and keep it somewhere cool and dry. That stuff will suck humidity out of the air and turn to concrete in a minute.

homebrewer_99 said:
DME dry, double bagged and in a box, out of the light and air.

Irish Moss in a jar in the crisper drawer of the fridge.

Hops ALWAYS in vacuumed sealed bags in the freezer.
Ditto. Although lately, I've been keping my Irish Moss same as Cheese - in the spice cabinet.

homebrewer_99 said:
I figure the coldness of the fridge and the airtightness of the jar keeps it fresher.:D
Yeah, I felt that way, too. I don't know why I changed, I just did!

I just leave my DME in the bag it came in, but fold the top over, and sit it on a shelf. Never had a problem with it hardening or anything else.
Same with irish moss - I can't see why it would need to be 'fresh' in any way - it's already dried...

Back