New fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it would hold a better ambient temp it wouldn't have to run so much to hold the fermentation temps.

That logic is completely backwards, and is exactly why it's advisable to strap your probe either to your fermenter or to drop it in a glass of water or some other stabilizing agent.

Here's the thing: If you leave it hanging in the air and try to maintain ambient temperature, you've got two things going on: 1) your temp controller is now managing ambient temperature instead of fermenter temp, which can vary depending on the stage of fermentation, so you're starting off behind the 8-ball already. (not to mention the significant difference between ambient temp and fermenter temp at the height of active fermentation). 2) Ambient temp can swing a lot - especially if you open the doors to your fermenter, or if your insulation isn't perfect, while the thermal mass of a fermenter, or even a glass/growler of water is much more temperature stable.

So, since it's really the fermenter whose temperature you care about, strap that probe to the fermenter. It'll be more stable to ambient temp swings (either due to insulation, doors opening, whatever), and the temperature will automatically adjust depending on what's needed for the stage of fermentation (you typically need a little more cooling in the early phases, and a little less as fermentation slows down).

If you're trying to maintain an ambient temp, you'll actually cycle far more often than if you're trying to monitor and maintain a fermenter temp.

And to broadbill - that's a really, really lousy assumption to make right there. I've been able, with very good success, to get my chamber (which is large enough to house a pair of 6 gallon better bottles with room to spare) down to sub-40F (fully or partially loaded), and I'm positive it'd go cooler than that - I just haven't had cause to try. I've done a lager ferment or two, I've lagered a beer or three, cold-crashed several... There are many threads around here full of folks with similar experiences with their builds.

I really appreciate the time you took to reply and try and help. I will read it in its entirety shortly.

I do strap the sensor to my carboy when fermenting, and right now it is on a bucket of water as there is nothing fermenting. Also, my chamber could probably hold 6 carboys. That is most likely the biggest issue. I made it too big for the cooling unit.

Back