Recipe Needed!!! Simple Strong Hop Tasting Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kejsport

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing, but I am hooked!

I recently had a beer called "3 Floyd's ALPHA KING Pale Ale". It was awesome! My favorite thing about it was how much it tasted with strong hops. Does anyone have a really strong hop ale that a newbie can make? Please be specific with instructions.

Thanks everyone!

This is Clemson 55's IIPA it was Outstanding!

Heres the recipe for the IIPA its an extract recipe.

IIPA:
9.3lbs Gold Liquid Malt Extract
4oz Aromatic
12oz Caramel 60*L
8oz Victory
1oz Chinook
1oz Northern Brewer
3oz Cascade
2oz Centennial
1oz Liberty
1oz Perle

Steep grains for 20 min in 3gal of water, remove grains, bring to boil. Add LME and return to boil. 60min total boil time. Hop additions 1oz Chinook at 60min, 1oz Northern Brewer at 50min, 1oz Cascade at 45min, 1oz Centennial at 30min, 1oz Cascade at 20min, 1oz Centennial at 10min, 1oz Liberty at 5min. Dry Hop in secondary for 2 weeks with 1oz Cascade and 1oz Perle.

Alpha King Pale Ale:
STYLE: American Pale Ale
ABV%: 6
IBUS: 66
COLOR: Deep Orange

Description:
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops

If you want to try something simple which will approximate this beer the following extract recipe might work:

6 lbs extra light dme
.5 lbs crystal 40
1 oz columbus at 60 min
1 oz amarillo at 15 min
1 oz amarillo at flameout
1 oz amarillo dryhop in secondary

Nottingham dry yeast or US5 dry yeast

If you have access to centennial, cascade, and warrior, by all means use those, but if you can't find them amarillo and summit are really good substitutes.

Alpha King is one of my alltime faves and a great clone is pretty easy to make.
Steeping Grains: (
1 lb Crystal (60 L)
.5 lb Caramunich

Extract:
1.66 lbs. LME (added at beginning of boil)
6 lbs. Light/Pale DME (late addition - added with about 20 min left in boil)

Hops:
1 oz. Columbus (60 min)
.8 oz Warrior (30 min)
1 oz. Centennial (5 min)
1 oz Centennial (dry hop)

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast

This makes for a beer remarkably close to the real deal. SWMBO and I just had a couple after dinner while watching a few shows earlier. Tastes fantastic and I make it regularly. Already have another batch planned as I'm about halfway through the current batch. I have a comparison image in my gallery.

Dec07_Jan08_057.jpg

7594-IMG_0727.JPG

And seconded on Amarillo if you can't find any Warrior or Centennial. A little more Cascades can sub for the Centennial as well. You just want to be sure to use some higher Alpha citrusy hops. Shoot for around 60-65 IBUs.

And this is why after being in the brew hobby for 1 week I'm planning on planting 3 hop plants (2 Nugget and 1 Cascade). How much would a 5 gallon batch cost to make with all of those hops!? :)

Back