WLP002 (English Ale yeast) vs WLP041 (Pacific Ale yeast)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seb

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a Porter in a couple weeks and I'm still not sure what yeast to use.

I've never tried either of them yet so I have no idea how different they are and what they both bring to the final beer.

The WLP041 Pacific ale yeast looked good to me, but I read it doesn't react well to temperature change. I don't have a temp controller so it's hard for me to keep it at a specific temperature.

Any of can you can help me make a wise choise?

Thank you!

wlp002 is awesome for british styles, drops clear quickly and has a good flavor profile.

I've never used 041, but 002 is one of my favorites and I use it all the time in a variety of ales. It ferments very nicely and drops out leaving a nice clear beer. And it does leave a nice sweetness behind also.

002 doesn't react well to temp change either--can get pretty fruity and produce diacetyl at around 68 and higher. I use it a lot, and 60-64 with a rise to 68 on the last day is the way to go. 002 is an absolutely fantastic strain and I use it for all my American and English ales for my nano-brewery.

I am not sure about 041 though, have never used it.

Love 002... I also use it in all of my American and English ales. Pitch low (like 62) and you'll probably be okay with the temp fluctuations. I also highly recommend a big temp boost at the end of fermentation. Use a heating pad if you can, or bring it to your house's highest level in a warm room. This will ensure a good cleanup.

Definitely recommend 002 for the Porter. I've split batches with lots of different British yeasts, Yorkshire, Whitbread, British Ale, Scottish and English. By far, my notes with 002 are the cleanest. It really lets the malt profile shine through, and will do fantastic with a Porter, getting you those nice chocolate and toffee notes.

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for the input! When you guys say I should up the temperature at the end of fermentation, do you mean exactly at the time it hits the right FG? And for how long do I let it sit at this temperature?

Was at the White labs tasting room recently and there was 5 Ambers (so, not porter) done with 001, 002, 041 and one other.. think 028. 041 was the winner for me.

Was at the White labs tasting room recently and there was 5 Ambers (so, not porter) done with 001, 002, 041 and one other.. think 028. 041 was the winner for me.

I wish I was there.

On that subject... are there any good write ups about yeast taste tests?

Back