Protein Rest: Needed or Desired?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I was considering adding some Flaked Barley to my latest brew to increase the creaminess, mouth feel and head retention. I know from having read JP's, How To Brew that a protein rest for grists consisting of 25% or more of such a grain would be beneficial.

Would adding my 5-10% of Flaked Barley to the MLT first and seperately, so that I could perform a protein rest only on it make a marked difference compared to simply combining it with the rest of the grist and skipping the protein rest altogether?

In your opinion, is this too much hassle for too little or no benefit?

If you're only adding a lb or so, don't worry about it. I've added flaked barley or flaked oats to a lot of beers and a single infusion mash was fine. If you're doing a wit that's 30% flaked wheat, then you'd want to.

I did a protein rest that had 40% Wheat and I like the results. A friend of mine had 52% wheat and did a single infusion and that beer turned out fine so who reallys knows unless you do back to back brews and see for yourself.

Single infusions seem to do the trick for almost all situations. Protien rests are good but the difference is minimal. If you had more than 75% of unmodified malts then it would benefit greatly. Today's ingredients are so modifiable that it hardly makes a difference.

JMO - if you want to, go for it. If not, so be it. To each their own.

- WW

Back