All Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Not really worried yet, just more curious. Wednesday i made basically a belgian pale, 3 gal worth. Brewed, cooled, and pitched a very healthy looking 1L starter of Brett L. The starter took almost a week to finally get going, but it was strong when i pitched.

Wort sitting a cool 66F right now, and i have zero signs of visible fermentation. Now i know it's only been two days since i pitched and i'll get the hydro out around Sunday, but is a long lag time pretty common with all brett beers??

Yeah Brett takes a long time to get going. Also with a 100% brett beer, don't be surprised if you don't get funk, but a more clean slightly fruity character.

I'm looking for the cleaner aspects of the brett. That starter did smell delicious when i pitched!! I wish this thing would kick it in to gear

Warm it up a bit? Ive experienced similar lag times and once I warmed it up I was good to go.

as was already pointed out, Brett takes a while when used by itself and there is really no reason to hurry it along. you may find the beer to be cloudy when finished, it can take quite some time for brett to drop out even when cold crashed.

I'm about to do an all brett pale ale. I made a 300ml starter, stepped it up to 1.5l after a few days, and let it rip for over a week. about to brew, and I'm wondering about cold crashing the starter. I seem to recall hearing Chad from Crooked Stave saying that Brett is very sensitive to heat changes, and you shouldn't cold crash. I have a feeling the brett will just be in suspsension for another week if I do not crash it, though. Thoughts?

Brett will continue to work for 4-6 weeks after the majority of fermentation ends, continuing to find sugars to ferment. So as long as it is feeding it will look cloudy.

Back