Fermentation Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
From what I've read so far it seems a standard rule is 2 weeks for fermentation. I was just wondering is that a pretty solid rule? Is it sometimes shorter/longer?

I'll be attempting my first brew over the weekend. A belgian wit. I'm just curious if I should just put it in the back for two weeks or start to keep a close eye on it at 10 or so days? Possibly taking longer than 14?

I've had fermentations last as little as 3-4 days, but I would still keep it in the primary at least a week (2 weeks if you're not moving it to a secondary).

I've also had fermentations last over 10 days (like my current one), it all depends on the brew.

Since this is your first brew I would recommend putting it somewhere you won't be tempted to mess with it too much once you have signs of fermentation. Then in two weeks, bottle.

There's no exact time for a fermentation, they all take different amounts of time. Let it go until the gravity doesn't change for a couple days, rack to secondary if you're using one, or bottle. Good luck on your first brew.

Back