chili powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I was REALLY surprised to learn that chili powder is a spice blend. I guess I thought it was just ground peppers.

It is actually a mixture of Paprika, ancho, cumin, oregano, garlic, and possibly other peppers.

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

I typically don't like spice mixes, but this one is good to have on hand, and like most things, is ALOT better if you make it. I JUST used ancho powder and paprika as far as mine goes and is GOOD.

I buy ancho peppers dried (available in a big plastic bag almost anywhere) and grind them up myself.

In addition to chili powder, it is a must for barbecue sauce, spice rubs, even coffee.;)

Cheers!

Yep it is a must have. Paprika, chili powder, cayenne powder -- while looking the same are very very very different.

Learned the hard way by using one for another on a dish a few weeks back :)

The only other blend I use is a bastardized version of Emeril's essence.

I will post that tonight.

You obviously never saw the Good Eats episode where Alton described the difference between chili with an "i" powder and chile with an "e" powder. :D

I used both. Most of the recipies I make that I plan on recreating though only have McCormick Chili powerder and maybe 1 other powdered pepper. I do that just for consistency.

I used both. Most of the recipies I make that I plan on recreating though only have McCormick Chili powerder and maybe 1 other powdered pepper. I do that just for consistency.

Kinda my point. If there is going to be garlic powder or cumin in it, I want to put it in in the amounts I want.

I normally hate spice blends just because I can make a better product myself, and what is the art involved in dumping Mccormic steak spice on a steak?

Back