Is Car-Pils the only non-fermentable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
More specifically,

I have the following going into a porter recipe this weekend.

2 lb Munich/Vienna Malt - 10L
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1 lb Flaked Oats - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

Are all of these fermentable?

With Carapils and these malts all sitting next to each other at the LHBS, it's hard for the new AG guy like myself to determine where the fermentables end and the "mouth-feel" grains begin.

KE:

Of the grains you have listed, the Munich 10 and the flaked oats contain starches that can be broken down in mashing to produce fermentable sugars. The Munich 10 will have some residual sugars aready from the malting process. The caramel 30 and chocolate malt will have a very small amount of sugars, but the majority of them in these malts have been converted to other molecules during the higher heat processes of their preparation. These malts are more flavor contributors to your beer.

CaraPils is a barley malt made to be low in color and flavor so it does not change the profile of any beer, but is said to add body and foam stability. It is called a dextrin malt because it is said to contain dextrins, unfermentable carbohydrates. The chocolate malt and caramel malt will add unfermentable carbs to your beer, but if you want to add these properties without boosting the flavor of these malts too high, you can use CaraPils. Another way to do the same thing as CaraPils is to add maltodextrin. You can get this at your LHBS. You can use a lot less of maltodextrin than CaraPils to get the same effect.

I hope I answered your question.

Dr Malt:D

The Vienna is the only real fermentable you have there, and there is nowhere near enough. With those ingredients you would only be hitting an SG around 1018-1020, which is to low for just about any style. Porters are usually up in the 1040-1052 range so you'll have to add a lot more fermentable base grains. I'd read a bit about different base malts and decide on a type you want to use, then add it in the correct amount to this grain bill.

Now your beer is HUGE!!!! Over 1070 gravity! Supermega. :D

I'd go something more like:
5lbs 2 row
2lbs munich
.5 chocolate
.5 crystal

EDIT: Wait, you aren't talking about a 10 gallon batch are you????

Nope. This is a 5-er. Though I might kick an additonal 1/2 gallon to bring it down to a 51/2 cooled wort.

I have a lighter 1050 stout bottling now and I wanted a kick-butt rich porter that demanded to be sipped and "chewed". I'm hoping it's drinkable before the cold weather leaves in the spring. Otherwise, it will be some mighty fine aged porter for next year.

Back