120 Qt Mashtun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proetus

Reaction score
Is it too big for average 10 gallon recipes? Currently i have a 48qt and its to small. SWMBO picked up a 120qt cooler! Just wondering if its too big.

It will likely work if you preheat it well, but IMHO it is too bib and will be a hassle handling it and cleaning it due to its size. 60 or 72 qt seems a bit more reasonable to me.

There is no need to preheat. Just adjust your water T to compensate. The larger the cooler the lower the surface area to volume ratio, so it won't be much different from your 48qt. I went from a 52qt to a 120qt and do 10G batches in it all the time. 25lbs grain and I use 1.5qt per lb. 175F water brings me 10 152F.

I have a 120 that I use for large grain bill recipes, but don't use it for my normal brews. Seems like it would work I just don't have the temp loss dialed in for smaller brews. Should work fine though.

Yes i batch sparge so with a few posts advocating it, i think i'll keep it so as to not hurt her feelings. :) If i find it isn't working as well as i'd like i'll just get a smaller one. :D

Never tell her it isn't perfect. When we married my bride bought me a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. I traded it off because that miserable squared off trigger guard kept bruising my knuckle. She never bought another gun for me - aftershave and GD ties from then on. :(

Never tell her it isn't perfect. When we married my bride bought me a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. I traded it off because that miserable squared off trigger guard kept bruising my knuckle. She never bought another gun for me - aftershave and GD ties from then on. :(

Good advice, from a very wise man.....

Did you end up going with the 120qt setup? How long of a braid should you use for a cooler that big? it's 40 inches long.

I found a 120qt marine style cooler in the folks storage shed today to use as a mash tun without reading about how big they should be for the batches. I saw somewhere that the braid should be at least half the length and perhaps a small copper coil inserted throughout the length to keep it from collapsing. The only hard evidence I have is from the "How to Brew" website that says the manifold should stay at least 3 inches away from the sides.

So I will be building this out tomorrow and testing it. I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread but I will post back results anyway to give it closure.

Back