Pumpkin Batch Prep. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
I'm just about to embark on my first AG pumpkin batch in about a week and have been doing as much research as I can both here on the forums and online. I am on the fence about using some local pumpkins or canned pumpkin. I understand the chances of a stuck sparge and having to use a bit less pumpkin but has anybody tried both methods and found one better? I was thinking about cutting out some chunks and grating them rather than pureeing to avoid the stuck sparge(other than the sticky stuff).

Also, has anybody ever fremented their beer in the pumpkin after? I have heard of this being done and seen pictures of a brew done in a pumpkin but also heard of the tops blowing off even with an airlock on. Thanks guys.:mug:

I've been curious about fermenting the wort in a pumpkin before as well, but the possibility of an infection worries me. I've never used real pumpkin in a batch, and never mashed pumpkin since before this year I was only doing PM's. From what I understand using real pumpkin might prevent a stuck sparge, but you'll get less pumpkin taste out of it. Even some of the big guys like New Holland use canned pumpkin. I've also heard of people adding up to 1.5 pounds of rice hulls and sparging in under 30 minutes with canned pumpkin. It's really whatever method you want to go with, just make sure you do your method the right way.

I did my first pumpkin ale the other day and the canned pumpkin will definitely make for a slow sparge. Be prepared for a very vigorous fermentation you will need a blow off. Other than that I can't be of any help but I wish you luck.

John

Fermenting in a pumpkin is an awesome idea! I've never heard of that before. Im gonna brew my pumpkin ale in a week or so and will try this. I think I will get my regular 6.5 gallons for the boil, to ferment in a carboy. then run off some more to make a mini 1 gallon batch and use this for the pumpkin. I think it would be a great experiment. The biggest problem will definitley be sanitation, i wonder if i could spary a little bit of star san in the pumpkin, or else just use a very sanitized knife and spoon to clean it out. Im excited for this!

Awsome, thanks for all the replies and the links to the pumpkin brewing sites. I think I'm going to run off a gallon into a pumpkin and leave it in my cold cellar so it doesn't explode cause of the heat and a very vigorous fermentation. As for wild yeast in the pumpkin or getting into the pumpkin(if there is any) I'm not sure what'll happen with that but I'll let you guys know how it goes and post some pictures as well if I can.

If it matters to you much, canned pumpkin (ex. Libby's), typically isn't pumpkin at all, but a different type of squash. Also, you might not tell much difference, as the pumpkin itself doesn't lend much flavor to the finished beer - in my opinion. It's there after the mash (as a sort of earthy, vegetable flavor/smell) but after ferment & spicing, i think it gets lost very easily. As long as you have the spices in line, canned vs. fresh shouldn't matter.

As for fermenting IN a pumpkin, i would predict and infection of some sort. Not necessarily a show stopper, but something funky nonetheless. Worth experiementing with, though, as i know i'll never have the ballz enough to do it.

I stand by my statement, though i still consider it to be "pumpkin". :)

"100% pure pumpkin" crows the Libby web site. They announce that they only use "a special variety of pumpkin called the Dickinson." But is that really pumpkin? Experts disagree. For one, it's not orange. The Dickinson Field squash belongs to a species known as Cucurbita moschata, sharing a genus (Cucurbita) with the Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins, but betraying its Halloween-y origins with a decidedly tan skin. A little like the butternut squash - and, in fact, the Dickinson cross-polinates with the butternut.

Despite its tan skin, the Dickinson has that lovely orange flesh you expect from your pumpkin (no artificial coloring necessary). It has all the vitamins and minerals you know and love. It tastes great (and - if you really want to know - those pretty orange-skinned pumpkins? they don't taste so good). It's just that the pumpkin on the label, the one with the bright orange skin, is a bit of a white lie.

There was a thread here a few years ago where someone fermented in a pumpkin. It did NOT go well! The pumpkin is essentially embedded with bacteria and there's no real way to sanitize it for the wort. The experimenter ended up getting a soggy moldy pumpkin with soggy moldy wort inside.

I almost bought sweet potatos when I picked up the pumpkin for my beer... that is what I use for my pumpkin pie. I think it has a more pronounced flavor.

But I just bought canned pumpkin... sorry, canned squash product from the same family as pumpkin but slightly different so we should all probably boycott Libbys...

... sorry, canned squash product from the same family as pumpkin but slightly different so we should all probably boycott Libbys...

I agree with what you guys are saying - tomato, tomato (i guess that doesn't translate well in typing). I know i was splitting hairs, but my original point was that whatever the hell you mash - pumpkin, pseudo-pumpkin, sweek potatoes (which i almost did cuz i couldn't find the pumpkin), etc. - they're all similiar enough that the final product might not produce a discernable difference.

The consensus seems to be that the pumpkin is adding color and mouthfeel.

Perhaps it is carry the spices to the tongue as well... but that is my own weird thought. I am convincing myself it is necessary.

I decided to put out a stout today with a friend. I may do the pumpkin tomorrow.

Yeah, I used the link there back on page one and I think i"m going to move my ball valve and filter to a pumpkin for the mash. I will put a bit of the carved out pumkpin in there for the mash and then put it all back in, but I'll ferment it in my primary and secondary fermenters. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Cheers.

I did my first pumpkin beer last year and it turned out awesome. I used fresh pumpkin. I cut 4.5 pounds of pumpkin up and baked it until it was mush then i put it in the boil. There was a ton of trub from all the pumpkin but you could taste the pumpkin (unlike most "pumpkin" beers). During fermentation it all settled out to the bottom. You lose a little beer but it was well worth it. It came out better then i had expected and to this day its one of my best brews. Was like a piece of pumpkin pie in every glass which is exactly what i was going for. Ill be more then happy to post the recipe if you want.

11lbs 2 row
8oz munich
8oz aromatic
8oz biscuit
8oz dextrin
4.5 pumkin baked then pureed added to boil
pumkin pie spice (added to the boil)
.5 tettnanger 4.0aa 30 min
1 oz willamette 5.2aa 30min
wyeast 1056 american ale

Like i said. This is one of the best brews i have made. Had pumpkin pie flavor with an awesome mouthfeel of a thicker super malty beer. Just plain rocked if you ask me:)

I did my first pumpkin beer last year and it turned out awesome. I used fresh pumpkin. I cut 4.5 pounds of pumpkin up and baked it until it was mush then i put it in the boil. There was a ton of trub from all the pumpkin but you could taste the pumpkin (unlike most "pumpkin" beers). During fermentation it all settled out to the bottom. You lose a little beer but it was well worth it. It came out better then i had expected and to this day its one of my best brews. Was like a piece of pumpkin pie in every glass which is exactly what i was going for. Ill be more then happy to post the recipe if you want.

Sounds good. I've grown my own pumpkins this year for the brew. I'd love to have a look at your recipe.

Given the poor results reported on fermenting in a pumpkin I may just do the mash in the pumpkin, I don't know if it would stand up to the boil (I use electric elements in the kegs). I may ferment a 1 gal batch of it in a smaller pumpkin, I'd hate to loose the whole thing.

I posted the recipe above. I didnt feel the need to ferment in a actual pumpkin due to the mess, chance for infection, bugs, and any other atrocity that i would think could come from fermenting in a plant:) With four and a half pounds of pumpkin puree in it though the flavor came through.

Thanks for the recipe Tdavisii. I have a recipe very similar to this one, it seems that a lot of pumpking recipes are very similar within an ingredient or two. I won't be fermenting in a pumpkin but I think I'll do my mash in a nice big pumkin with the baked pumkin(not too much) to make it the perfect brew. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Latest posts

Back