Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hello,

I am almost ready to do an AG batch (yes..I know I said that before).
I wanted to switch to AG since I was tired of extracts that basically ended up
the same colour.....So I want to attempt something OG 1.050ish, SRM about 3ish.
Most lagars seem to fit the bill.....

So my question is: I do not have a method/fridge to "lager" beer, so If I use a lagar yeast (2272, 2007, with mainly a 2-row recipe), will this have an adverse effect on the beer?
I know Papazian says ale/lager can be subsituted at anytime. I just want to make an AG that I can judge without the yeast being a huge variable since this is my first AG attempt.

Cheers.

It won't be a lager at all. If you ferment it at room temps, it'll be a light fruity ale.

You could try it, but you wont really have a lager. There's very little you can do to prevent your yeast from producing fruity esters at room temperature so your best bet is to use a clean ale yeast (German/Kolsch style) or the California common lager yeast strain. I'm sure your beer will turn out great whatever you do, though.

If you can't ferment at around 50 degrees don't bother with a lager yeast. You could brew a cream ale with WLP001, there are some great cream ale recipes floating around.

Thanks for the quick replies...I was able to change an online order to get
a Kolsch yeast...judging by the temps. posted online..my basement should be ok.
I will order the California next shipment.

Cheers.

You can use the cali lager yeast the same way as you would the kolsch yeast too. Ferment as low as you can, low 60s usually, then follow with cold conditioning. I know you said you don't have a fridge, just go as cold as you can for conditioning and you'll have a nice Cali Common

If you have a basement, it's pretty easy to put your fermenter in a tub of water on the basement floor and add a milk jug or something of ice once or twice a day--you could probably get to 10 degrees below the ambient temp that way, but it is a bit of a PITA tending to the ice every day.

I agree with those who have said pick the yeast based on the temp you can achieve. There are a few ale yeast strains (European ale, German ale, Kolsch) that produce lager-ish beers at temps in the 55-65 range.

I may try building the chiller as above....I kinda dont want to spend more $ right away as the wife has been monitoring the beer funds.
I will experiment with the water in a laundy tub as well (with water in the
fermentor)...I also may try my garage when fall arrives...i am sure oct/nov. will give me adequate temps, without any risk of freezing.

Cheers.

Back