Quick! Aerate wort before souring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlaw3000

Reaction score
Im doing a berliner weisse, inoculating wort with 1/2 pound of grain at ~120*....
Do I aerate wort for this or have as little air as possible... should I boil o2 out of solution and cool before adding grain?

I'm using LME so no nee to boil now unless i need to get the o2 out.... will boil post sour if thats the case??

Im doing a berliner weisse, inoculating wort with 1/2 pound of grain at ~120*....
Do I aerate wort for this or have as little air as possible... should I boil o2 out of solution and cool before adding grain?

I'm using LME so no nee to boil now unless i need to get the o2 out.... will boil post sour if thats the case??

You can aerate it after you boil before you pitch your sacc. Don't aerate it with the lacto working. Keep air out at that point.

Cool thanks, tried to layer surface with aluminium foil in the bucket to keep o2 out.... worked great for an hour and then sank so i guess I'll just leave it... better than then to take the lid off and muck around in there I assume? holding steady at 110*

Aluminum foil is a likely a bad idea as acid will eat it.

Ahh... That sounds like a plan. Should I leave it in there or fish it out?

It's happy hour and I decided to go do a new micro in town... So it will have to wait till I'm thoroughly inebriated and return home.... Hell im brewing tomorrow morning anyway so Ill just name it foillweisse and call it good. Thanks for the help man!

Fished it out last night and did a little taste test, yum!-

Latest posts

Back