Old mincers for grinding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bri_een

Reaction score
I am looking to begin all grain brewing but am struggling to find a grain mill, I was wondering if an old meat mincer would crack the grains sufficiently? Has anyone tried this?

I doubt if it woud work. The closest thing to a meat grinder is a Corona Grain Mill. I Bought one and didnn't like it. Most local home brew stores or on line stores will grind the grain you buy from them for free. I would suggest you follow that approach until such time as you purchase you own grain mill,preferably one with rollers.

A Corona mill will work fine for starting out - you can find them on ebay for $15 or $20. I've used one for several yearts, but I think I'm going to break down and get a nice roller mill this winter, assuming I get a good christmas bonus.

My biggest problem with the corona is consistency - it won't hold a setting, so you're constantly fiddling with it.

Back