Newbie Water questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Hello! I'm brewing an IPA this weekend and because of past disappointments (especially with hoppy beers) I think it's time to start doing water adjustments. I guess my first question is where the heck do I start?? And will it make a big difference in my beers? My last IPA had a bunch of 15min-flameout and dry hops but they didn't come through - just tasted bitter. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Chris

You start by determining what it is you are adjusting. Best bet is probably to send a sample off to Ward Labs for analysis. If you have a water softener be sure to take the sample at a point before the water goes into the softener.

If you are fortunate enough to have a water supplier that furnishes good reports based on frequent sampling then, of course, you don't need to go to Ward Labs but rather to the suppliers web site or office for a copy of the latest report.

Alas, not all of it. As a brewer you are most interested in the alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, sulfate and sodium. Ward Labs is inexpensive and quick. I'd give them a shot.

Will do, thanks man! I'll send out a sample this week. I'm brewing this sat. Should I brew with store bought or other water?

First things first - extract or All-grain?

If extract, just use R.O. water that you can buy at refill stations in store for .39 cents a gallon.

If all-grain, you do need to get a wards report and learn to use Bru'n Water or you are totally guessing at what you are adding.

In the meantime - if you are all grain, use R.O. water and refer to this thread (beginning post gives sample additions based on style using RO water.)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

All-grain. A "hopbursted" IPA.

Thanks for the link and help! Going to give it a go with the RO water - a little nervous. I'll hit you guys up once I have my water report back.

I noticed one important item in your Denver Area Water report and that is they treat the water with chloramine and you cannot boil that out or dissipate it out Camden tablets work I am told. Otherwise you should not use tap water as it will effect beer flavor I am told.
"Chloramine as Cl2 4 N/A ppm 1.08 - 1.98 1.59 No 12 Daily Drinking water disinfection"

I am not sure if a water softener will remove it or not.

Maybe I should brew with my tap water and use the camden tablet? Then address the other stuff once I have my report. That could be the cause of my "off flavors". Would chloramine affect hop flavor/aroma?

The crappy thing about that water report is that it is most likely not accurate. Denver water comes from 3 different treatment plants, and they're all connected to the grid so you can get water from one plant that has a pretty different water profile than the others on any given day.With that in mind I haven't ever really treated my water from the tap (since I'm not sure which plant is pumping the water that day) and I haven't noticed any off flavors from chloramine.
http://www.denverwater.org/docs/assets/40108D3F-C107-1096-FE8FF93CF96C711E/2012WaterQualityReport.pdf

Yes you can boil off chloramine or let it 'evaporate'. It isn't very practical to do it that way, however. Campden tablets are very effective. See the post on them in the Stickies.

Yes you can boil off chloramine or let it 'evaporate'. It isn't very practical to do it that way, however. Campden tablets are very effective. See the post on them in the Stickies.

Everything that I have read about chloramine is that you can NOT boil it off and it does not dissipate or evaporate out.

Back