Trying to be patient, but failing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHoppyJoyJoy

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch of IPA night before last, but so far I can't see any signs of activity. 36 hours, and so far, not one lousy bubble. :mad:

Yeast is a White Labs California Ale WLP001, pitched at 75 degrees.

Sanitation (as far as I know) is good, I double sanitized everything.

Aeration should be excellent, I just tried out my new O2 system on this batch, so there is plenty of oxygen in the wort.

How long do I wait before I do something to solve my problem, and once I've waited that long, what should I do?

Hoppy

If you had made a starter several days before brewing you would not be waiting now. :eek:

Making a starter will ensure that your yeast is alive.

Give it another 12 hours.

Make a starter next time BEFORE you brew and...well, you know the rest. :D

I would be anxious too. Is there any visible krausen in the fermentor? I would get some dry yeast as a backup if nothing is happening in the next 12-18 hours.

More O2 = more growth = longer lag time. But, once the ferment starts it should complete faster.

Hmmm....

That's what I get for listening to the guy at my LHBS. I was told to just pitch the liquid yeast staight from the vial.

On the bright side, my wort has gone from zero krausen at the time of my first post, to about a 1/4 inch of krausen now, so it looks like we're off to the races.

I think the yeast heard me talking smack about it, and decided to get it's butt in gear. ;)

Thanks guys.

Hoppy

HoppyHoppyJoyJoy said:
Hmmm....

That's what I get for listening to the guy at my LHBS. I was told to just pitch the liquid yeast staight from the vial....

Well, in a way they're right, the vials (white labs I imagine) are marketed as "ready to pitch" and you can make beer just fine by pitching directly. Having said that, I never pitch right from the vial anymore. I always make a starter to make sure I got good yeast, especially when the date on the vial is really close or past it's "best by" date. I seem to get more of those from my LHBS guy recently. Also the lag time is only a couple to a few hours. Nice!

Even with dry yeast they may say on the pack to just sprinkle on the wort. But if you check out the spec sheets online they tend to say that rehydration is the preferred method.

I would get some dry yeast as a backup. 36 Hours is awhile...

HoppyHoppyJoyJoy said:
Hmmm....

That's what I get for listening to the guy at my LHBS. I was told to just pitch the liquid yeast staight from the vial.

Technically white labs says this is doable. However if the vial is older, or was mishandled at all, that greatly affects what's still alive inside. plenty of people seem to have zero problems direct pitching vials...plenty of people also seem to have long lag times, and some have totally dead vials.

its always best to play it safe with any liquid yeast (vial or smack pack) and whip up a starter a few days in advance.

I decided to make an apfelwein with a liquid weizen yeast and it I think it was out of date. Been probably about 5 hours and this is the longest I've ever had to go without activity. Every other time I've made something a starter was used and fermentation jumped off real quick. They are easy to make as well.

If I am using white labs.....a starter is mandatory. If I am using Wyeast, I can get away without a starter.

anthrobe said:
If I am using white labs.....a starter is mandatory. If I am using Wyeast, I can get away without a starter.

I noticed that on my last batch (Sierra Nevada Clone) the Wyeast took off like a shot.

I had been using the White Labs since it's what my local guy carries, but if I have to do a starter anyway, I might as well go with the dry and save a few bucks.

Hoppy

Back