Kolsch yeast early activity - too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did my first starter using a stir plate. It sat on the plate about 2 days then I didn't have time to brew so I sat it in the keezer. I pulled it back out, dumped the liquid then made another and let it sit on the plate another 2 days. Put it in the keezer for a day and a half and used it last night.

First of all, the wort itself (NB Extract Kolsch) was pretty foamy after aeration compared to the few others I have done. There was an inch or more of foam on the top prior to adding the yeast. The wort had the correct OG but there was much more sediment in the sample that I expected.

After putting the yeast in I saw airlock activity begin in less than 2 hours. Weird. It is going crazy now (about 16-17 hours later).

I'm still a rookie but this is a strange brew.

Is this normal for Kolsch?

By the way - does anyone else put a magnet outside the bottom of the flask to make sure the stirbar doesn't pour in to the wort?

My Koelsch was the first time I used a starter, I also stuck it in the fridge for a day or two before brewing with no ill effects. Fermentation took off like a rocket. Can't be much different than pitching a vial of WL yeast I should think.

I guess some might say you left it open to infection in the refrigerator (but was it more open to infection than it was on the stir plate?) I think you are alright.

Still going like mad. My only real concern is it took less than 2 hours to take off. I wonder if I hit the wrong timing on the yeast. That said... Maybe I hit the perfect timing?

Back