The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been putting off saying this but I think I need to cancel Masstoberfest this year. (At least if I want to avoid Mrs. TheNurse stabbing me with a knife) Sorry kids but I'm sure you all understand. Don't want to give you all the Boogie Woogie Flu.

Means it gives me a chance to make something to bring if I come next year, but I was really looking fwd to burnt pizza and meeting Yooper. I know she always attends.

[PS I can still send sox, right?]

Well, I've been putting off saying this but I think I need to cancel Masstoberfest this year. (At least if I want to avoid Mrs. TheNurse stabbing me with a knife) Sorry kids but I'm sure you all understand. Don't want to give you all the Boogie Woogie Flu.
Makes sense, I’m not doing mine this year either, but my HBC, which has been meeting at outdoor venues for a couple months is having their’s outdoors with lots of space. Keep that adorable grand baby healthy, Paul so Mrs PTN won’t have an excuse to cut you. 😉

Last edited:
Sketchy? When was Masstoberfest upgraded?

Damned good point sir. DAMNED good point.

Dammit. I had just purchased nonrefundable flight tix...

You know you’re welcome anytime. Doors are always open for small groups. And if you come it will definitely be a small group.

That's a good deal for kegs, but I'd be careful putting beer in them second time around without some serious sanitation. Ruined 100 gallons of hard cider that way. Always best when they have just had whisky in them.

Anyway, brewed batch #100 today, since I started brewing again, nice day out too,.. even if the nearby chirch was having an outdoor service w questionable music and vocal talent....

If it were the congregation, there would be no grounds to be critical, but an over amped PA, with attempted soul/gospel/caucasian....guess you would had to have been here ....anyway, was nice day,,,,resulting brew fermenting steady at set temp w CO2 purging the kegs,..all is good.

In other brewing news, got 11.5 oz off my cascade, and 2.5 off another one. A few other vines have some hops, but probably not enough to bother harvesting. I screwed up, cause the markings on the hop vine labels wore off, instead of piling recriminations on myself, perhaps I'll finish this beer and crash soon,,,

this would have been my vote
1599680431102.png

Bacon. Broke my upper left second molar (#15 for those like me who grew up w dentists for fathers) just now with bacon. Yes I had a “green stick fracture” on that tooth 6 months back, but, SERIOUSLY?!! Getting old really sucks. Like, and I mean this, totally.

I got an M endorsement on my license, but have not been on one for quite a while. Between me, and mass of idiots and incompetents that are allowed to drive, I figure I have better chances in my "cages".

Don't ***** on 2020 too much, you might be lookin' back and thinking it was one of the last good ones.

Just look on the bright side, it could be a heck of a lot worse.

We could be at the back of a truck fighting for sacks of stale UN grain and bad water at a refuge camp.

Then later in the breakdown, there won't even be the camps,... or imagine being in a hunter/gatherer group when the younger/dryass hit.... or living in relative peace before the bronze age collapse..sea people, tsunami or volcano,,, all of the above,,,take your pick.

And old folks like us, at least we won't live to see the worst of it.

Heck I'm trying to be upbeat; most of us are doing so well, relatively speaking, and historically perspective wise....

I think it is important to remember how easy it is for us, compared to the past,,,at least for now.. and forgive me for having doubts that our species is fit or capable of being competent stewards of this lovely planet we have over run..

maybe this should be in drunken thoughts,, anyway, have a good evening.

Back in 2004, I asked my doc if he could write me a prescription for a swim spa, for chronic back pain. He did, sort of as a joke, but said he was not sure he'd advise to use it, tax deduction wise. Never did try to write it off, but I did install one, and it has helped dramatically and has left me better off than if I'd got the more common opioid script.

I'll pass on the opioids and disco ball, as well as the '70s clothing. Jeesh, I was in Detroit area during the height of the disco thing, which I guess I recovered from.

SO. It's been one of those days. 5:30AM ransomware started encrypting files across the windows network and killed a couple file servers but stopped mercifully (why? how? dunno) likely after domain controllers croaked. Some were already on VM so restore was fine, and the Oracle on Unix is fine, but this is going to suck for the next few days. I really am getting too old for this poopy.

[edit: and we all know darned well it was some idjit in HR or MKTG that clicked on some fvcking cat video link in an email that caused it]

A couple of decades ago the outfit in which I was chief engineer allowed me to build my own big ass workstation - dual quad-core 2.4ghz Pentium Xeons, scads of fast ram, mirrored 10krpm SCSI-3 drives, and three 21" monitors, all of it scrounged from our fault tolerant server proto builds. Everyone else was running white box Dells with a canned suite of software including antivirus (McAfee). I, otoh, installed only what I needed (mostly huge and very pricey CAD/CAE suites) - and went with Norton.

A few months later some virus got into the network and literally screwed every one of those corporate Dell pcs, and every one of them had to have their boot drives re-imaged with complete loss of any local user data. Meanwhile I cruised right through the chaos, blithely pointing out to whomever would listen the perils of software mono-cultures...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad someone is around to run all that stuff. Seems like some of that may sometime fall into the same category of much of my technical knowledge, such as wisdom like this;

The point gap on most chevy distributors from the early 60s to the early electronic ignitions is .019, or around 32 on the dwell meter, if you want to get fancy.

Anyway, happy Thursday, ....

Back