First time to use a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david58

Reaction score
Just brewed an IPA Sunday. Since our house usually is quite cool in the winter (64-66), I was concerned with pitching enough yeast. I use the White Labs vials, in this case London Ale. So this time I made a starter with 1/4 pound of light DME.

Wow!:ban:

Tremendously active in less than 6 hours. I have never had a batch perk up so quick! I think I am a believer in using a starter now. And much cheaper than pitching two bottles of the White Labs.

I've had luck with dry packs (signs of life within 7 hrs, with aeration) but I hear nothing but great things about smack packs and starters. You may have a convert in your midst...

The only problem with the starter is once I make it, I'm committed. Just warming the vial three hours before pitching is real convenient, but I like the idea of fully woke up and happily reproducing yeasties. Learning slowly but learning - no secondary fermenter any more, six weeks in the primary, a starter....no patience (nor time) for all grain, but learning.

Back